teen builds birch bark canoe

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Er yes 250+ million folk living in the US and probably 50 million of those living far enough North for birch, of them maybe 50? have built a birch bark canoe? and to do it off your own back before you're 20?
Whilst we don't have good birch bark we do have access to incredible large diameter hardwoods which the Swedes are hugely envious of, how many of us use them?

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
A man after my own heart, done with full reverence and respect, this is something I have been dreaming of doing for the last couple of years. I don't think the Lake District has even one suitable Birch though...
Thanks for the post!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Er yes 250+ million folk living in the US and probably 50 million of those living far enough North for birch, of them maybe 50? have built a birch bark canoe? and to do it off your own back before you're 20?...

Living far enough north for birch? We have birch here in Florida, and I harvested about $35,000 worth off my land in Mississippi that blew down during Hurricane Katrina (lost several times that which couldn't be salvaged before it was too far gone) And that was at reduced prices due to the sheer volume of blowdown available to lumber companies.

Have to agree with you about how few people have the interest and talent to do this though.

Last edited:

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Living far enough north for birch? We have birch here in Florida, and I harvested about $35,000 worth off my land in Mississippi that blew down during Hurricane Katrina (lost several times that which couldn't be salvaged before it was too far gone) And that was at reduced prices due to the sheer volume of blowdown available to lumber companies.

Have to agree with you about how few people have the interest and talent to do this though.

Yep spent a year in Florida so know birch grows there but does it make the thick bark you need for this sort of work? I had always been of the opinion it needed the very hard winters to make good bark. If that's not the case I need a new explanation of why the same species Betula pendula makes good bark in Russia and Sweden but not the UK.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yep spent a year in Florida so know birch grows there but does it make the thick bark you need for this sort of work? I had always been of the opinion it needed the very hard winters to make good bark. If that's not the case I need a new explanation of why the same species Betula pendula makes good bark in Russia and Sweden but not the UK.

I cain't really give you a sure answer. I don't remember the bark being different on the birch I saw in Canada but TBH I wasn't really looking for any difference so I just cain't be sure.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE