Teddy's back !

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
After a couple of months lay-off, started the Teddy Tours up again with a gentle one to Gordale and Janets Foss wheresthepath link Set off into a gale and torrential rain but knew the cave at the foss would provide shelter, the road from Gargrave to Malham was flooded across in a couple of places but the vans a diesel so it was a steady chug through and by Malham the rain was easing off. Parked at the bottom of Gordale and walked up the valley
1lookingupGordale.jpg

and along to what appears to be the end
2beforethecorner.jpg

even though I knew what was round the corner it still takes you by surprise
3roundthecorner.jpg

and walking in brings the top fall into view
4futherround.jpg

with a close up of the top fall
5topfallcloseup.jpg

It was still blowing a gale so turned round and followed the stream down for 1/2 a mile to Janets Foss
6JanetsFoss.jpg

with the cave mouth on the right looking upstream
7cavemouth.jpg

looking out the cave with flash turned off
8lookingout.jpg

and with the flash on
9lookingoutflash.jpg

cave was dry and no wind so used the windshield as a table area to warm up some of last nights home made chilli and rice, with an Australian Shiraz, followed by a wind fall apple crumble and a brew using an Optimus Crux folder 3000 watt stove and the Optimus Terra Solo Cookset
9atea.jpg

looking down stream from the cave mouth
9blookingdownstream.jpg

Todays tour brought memories back of sleeping in the cave with Brenda over 25 years ago, we’d push biked there and set up camp for the night building a small fire in the entrance and what with the wind and the roof shape the smoke was blowing in along the roof under itself and out the entrance, so the cave was 1/2 full of smoke like an inversion layer, which meant when you were laying on the floor in a sleeping bag you were in clear air. Brenda woke up in the night and turned the torch on to find hundreds of spiders hanging on threads about an inch below the smoke, Brenda does not like Spiders so was not amused by me saying there not coughing get back to sleep ! just thought I’d share cheers all Danny

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Welcome back teddy!
Recovered from partying with BB yet?

As to Gordale and the Foss - that brings back memories of my Lands End northwards walk in my batchelor days ...I met a very nice Dutch girl there....
I also visitted much later with my wife ...not the same person...she wondered why I was grinning like a fool - ah... memories!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good to see you both out again

Gordale is one of my favourites, spent many a night on the campsite there and covered nearly every inch of the surrounding fells.

There's some great night routes round there to do by a full moon, in winter or out of season it has a definite magic

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Caves are magical

Welcome home Dan & ted

I had hoped Mr ted would have a "trubble at t'mill" miners helmet though :)

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
thats got to be the best cave I have seen yet how far back does it go from the entrance?
Hi Bill, not much further. Here's a photo of the back from about the same spot as the entrance photos,
9c.jpg

It's really dry inside and with the beck up it keeps the trippers out, as coming round and down through the wood is a scramble, which is a good thing as it can turn into a toilet when it's easy to get across.

:yikes: cheers Danny

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
A welcome return of the Teddy Tours!

I recently had the opportunity to try some Russian Caravan tea in a tea shop near Ross-on-Wye. I remembered it featuring in one of Teddy's tours & I enjoyed it very much. Thanks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE