Teach me about light weight sleeping bags

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Hi all - total noob when it comes to light weight kit.

I'd like to get a bag which is relatively warm but will fit in a 45ltr bag with the rest of my kit. - my current bag is the same size as my back pack. Fine if I use the bergan but way too big otherwise.

I had considered the British army jungle bag but I don't know the dimensions.

Any help appreciated.

Andy

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Pricey indeed. They do look good though.

Is down the way to go then?? - as I said I really am a total noob to light weight stuff.

Cheers

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
For warmth to weight ratio you have to consider a down bag Tescos do one quite cheap which some people like. Down is generally more pricey though and is no good when wet
I have a Jungle bag its fine for summer use and that can be extended by using a fleece liner which is really good;that is probably your best budget option It packs down small but technology has moved way ahead of these bags
Modern sleeping bags by Nanok http://www.nanok.no/engelsk/page28/page28.html and others are fantastic and I was lucky enough to get one of these off lurch when he was getting rid of the older range or something;again this bag can be extended in seasons by using the fleece liner

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
I use a Crux bag if I'm on a particularly long trip, tough as nails, packs small, weighs half a kilogram and it keeps me warm on cold nights. Pricey though.

:)
Do you have a model they don't sell anymore?
Their lightest model on the website, Torpedo 500, weighs 1190 grams. It does have half a kilo fill weight though ;)
The Crux probably is 'tough as nails' and has a waterproof eVent shell, but isn't particularly light for a comfort temperature of only 0°C. Their rating might be conservative compared to Alpkit's? (looking only at the fill weight and fill quality it should be warmer than the PD400)

Down is indeed the way to go if you want a lightweight sleeping bag.
Look at Alpkit's range if you want good price/warmth ratio combined with very reasonable weights. Their Pipedream 600 weighs 950 grams and is comfortable down to -10°C (blows the Crux out of the water in that regard). The Pipedream 400 would be a very nice lightweight bag for usage down to -3°C for a weight of only 750 g.
I'm a bit too tall for their Pipedream range so got one of the cheaper, heavier Skyehigh bags (comes in a long version). Used it for a while now, still very happy with it, although I do fancy a lighter bag... (even wrote a review with pictures in the review section some time ago...)

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Down is best for lightweight. And money is best if you want good down and lots of it the lighter you want to go. Let's start off cheap.

Tesco's do down - not bad for the price but it will be low fill power( the down won't fluff up too well so will be colder for the weight of down probably an EU 700 fill power (goes up to 900 IIRC).
Vango Venom range - cheap and in terms of weight and performance not too bad IF they fit you (tad small I think).

Then mid range - well Alpkit probably. Good, cheapish and not too bad on weight. I know a lot who have the Pipedream and rate it. Good company to buy from.

Expensive

Crux (they do waterproof ones probably with good fillpower so warm for weight)
PHD (PH Designs PH is from Pete Hutchinson who was the main designer for high altitude, cold climate and down clothing and equipment for Mountain Equipment and credited with one of those who made ME the brand it is/was). If there is anything he doesn't know about down clothing and kit I wouldn't worry about it as it;s not important. His gear is centred around being light and high performance. Nothing is in his bags that isn't needed or doesn't add to the performance. PLus you can get a "design your own" bag made to exact requirements. Keep an eye out for their twice yearly sales. He does the excellent Minim500 then for ridiculously cheap prices. the 500 is perfect for UK but is not a standard product but have to use the design your own option at a premium. the Minim 400 is a little cold on early camps and the 600 is too warm in summer. VEry good brand
Western Mountaineering - like PHD only lighter. They do some of the best down sleeping bags and quilts.

BTW can I also recommend Golite. They do down kit light and with neat design features like a water resistant but very light fabric around the head and feet of the bag. Important if you are likely to contact the tent wall or around the head condensation from breathing out on a cold night. I have their 3 season (comfort down to -7C) quilt.

Consider a quilt too. these are like the old Rab topbag where the down is in the top and it is open at the base with straps to go around the mat which provides the insulation from below. Compressed down has low insulation.

With money you should be able to get a down quilt weighing about 600g which is good for perhaps comfort 0C or even -5C!!. All that in a pack size a lot less than a 1 litre nalgene bottle. I had a photo of my golite quilt which is not that good really compared to PHD or western mountaineering laid on a chair next to my TV remote. Not much in it on length of the packed stuff sack. it is an XL version too but weighs about 600 to 690g.

One advantage of quilts (either completely flat ones or those with a footbox like my golite one) is they allow you to pull it in tight around you for warmth (less space inside to heat up). Then if you overheat you just lift up the side to vent warm air, or slide a leg out. Also in very cold conditions (perhaps unexpected) you can wear clothing in it and just loosen the quilt up. If you wear a down top in a cramped sleeping bag you compress both making them less efficient and you feel colder than with just the bag around you. Allround the quilt is more flexible IMHO / IME.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
SHop around online BTW you will find bargains.

I forgot RAB and Mountain Equipment. ME is not as good as it used to be and a little expensive but do long and short lengths (at a premium).

Rab are excellent bags. They do some of the best bags to be found in retailers as opposed to online. The Q400 IIRC is good.

The ME Xero is a fairly newer bag from ME (forgot about it) and is very light and warm for the weight. I know someone with one and they feel the cold but use this from March onwards. Cost a bit though not as much as PHD or Western Mountaineering.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
If price is an issue, look at Millets own Eurohike down bag (Eurohike 600?) will compress in to a very small hard brick, they will be in the sales now. I have used one in all cold weather types in the uk, it is too warm for summer use. If its summer then use the tesco's down bag. With down bags when not using them, shake them out and hang them up or put them in a pillow case, stuff it in dont fold it.

In the end it depends on how cold you think you are going to get, so have two bags and its an easier choice.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
PHD get great reviews, but are certainly not a cheap option...but if you keep a look out on the Outdoor magic gear forum http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forumthreads/mps/dt/4/URN/5/V/8/SP/ - you'll get a heads up on their sale dates.

There are a lot of fans for their kit over on OM, and looking at a couple of postings from last year, they have a Winter Sale which starts in early March, and a Summer Sale which starts at the begining of September (with the emails for their mailing list going out about a week before) . Which is very good timing since your looking at the moment.

The OMers have a pretty good handle on whats on offer, and there's lots of advice for the asking. Discounts for sleeping bags aren't bad. Since PHD do a kind of bespoke thing, you have to look at the difference between having exactly what you want, and a limited run special. But one poster last year reckoned that a Baltoro sleeping bag (in a limited run) in the sale was 36% cheaper than buying it normally. And since the cheapest bag in that range is currently £339, you can see why the OMers love it when the sale starts.

I have to admit that Alpkit is more my budget (and still very good value), but if you can get a good deal, you'll get a top notch bag.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Yep go onto the OM site or even better the PHD site and sign up for the newsletter. They preview the sale items for a week or so before it comes live so you get to drool over what you are about to buy for a bit before you get to buy it. The other thing is if a sale item sells out it is still worth calling PHD on the number on their website as I've heard of them making more of sold out items while the sale is running. In fact I actually think most of the items in the sale are being made as the sale goes on particularly the popular sleeping bags. Service is pretty good direct from PHD.

I'm not even Alpkit for budget. I got my £300 golite quilt from a sale I heard about on the Bargain thread on OM one lunchtime. I was scanning that thread and refreshed at the right time when the post appeared. It was £100 for the quilt so I ordered it straight away. If anyone is into getting new gear or just looking for bargains then that thread on OM is worth keeping tabs on. Sorry BCUK shouldn't recommend another site. Just don't mention big knives they go weird on that.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Cheers guys - really appreciate all the info.

I'll do a bit of research and have a chat with the moths in my wallet.

All the best
Andy

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
If you are in the market for a new bag and can wait a bit then sign up to the newsletters for a few retailers and brands. They sometimes put deals in their emails but mostly not what you want but you can be lucky. PHD, Alpkit, Rock+Run, Outdoor Warehouse, CLimbers Shop in Ambleside, etc. I'm on their lists and have "saved" a lot over the years by buying their deals from the email newsletters. I am not sure how much I'd have saved if I hadn't signed up probably more but I am now well kitted up so I'm happy (but poor at the moment).

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Check out outdoorwarehouse.co.uk or the following link is for their 1 season bag (comfort to 4C only I'm afraid). They appear to have sold out of most of the Golite quilts. However if you call them I am sure you will get one through them by special or back order. They are a good online outfit. I used to shop with them a lot when they had the Windermere shop open and often spent a few minutes chatting about outdoorsy stuff with whoever was there. Friendly bunch and all into the outdoors. IIRC the owner is into bushcraft a lot too. THere are blogs on their website about what he does. Although they are mainly of the climbing, running, MM racer types. You know all skinny with big forearms from climbing impossible stuff. Also big into all ALpine stuff some of them including skiing.

http://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.uk/i...D91C84DA5&bid=&order=priceHigh&parent=&page=2

I hope that long link works.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Forgot to mention they are still based in a unit in the Windermere area so still local to the Lakes if you wanted I am sure they'd let you see the product at their unit. That quilt linked is only £135 which isn't bad. Will be good for 3 season to a point. Mine was rated comfort to -7C but all the customer reviews put it at nearer 0C or -4C. I have totally sweated in it at about 3C or 4C. It is all down to user and clothing worn too.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
I have a good bag which is down and synthetic (down at the top and synthetic underneath. It comes in about 1600g and packs to about 30x20. I got it ridiculously cheap from Clas Ohleson - a tenner. It was spring and they were selling all the winter stuff off cheap. I've slept out down to about 3 deg and was still really toasty (and I really feel the cold - I had a Tesco summer down bag in the south of France this summer and kept waking up cold).
I figure it would go easily to the minuses, though how far, I don't really know until I try. A liner and pertex cover and some thermals should see it good. It has zip, head and shoulder baffles, and a little pocket inside.
I don't think they do them any more, though, as I can't see it on the website.
Thing is, though, look around at the right time of year and you can get some real bargains, and if you see one on Ebay or in a Clas Ohleson, then snap it up.
Just watch out though, they do a synth 3 season bag whisch is bigger and heavier.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE