Tea Stained Spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
blackteabirchspoon3978yv3.jpg

Here it is today after 14 hours in a black tea bath (18 bags/0.5L water) and a few hours drying.

This will likely lighten up on further sanding but I am liking the color.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
340teabirchspoon3991ix3.jpg

I spent my lunch outside sitting in the shade, a wonderful fresh breeze blowing by. sanding the tea spoon.

Most of the tea stain sanded off with the first 150 paper….but a small tinge remains. This is now sanded to 340 grit. 400 grit next then my attempt at a simple handle engraving mark.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Schwert
Here's what it may look like after a couple years of daily use. Regular Tetley did this!

473209195ec93c28b34e1321afba9f33b310543052770751e01ada26.jpg

I was getting fed up with tea spoons going missing at work and needed something long enough to fit my insulated mug :) If nothing else everyone knows who owns it :)

Help! I wonder if you look like that inside now?:lmao: :lmao:

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
markteabirchspoon4007ao0.jpg

Well I tried out my engraving tool. This my “mark” on the back side of the handle. I rubbed a bit of oily coffee grounds into the cuts…and apparently the wood pores too.

This my first attempt at using the engraver. It is very easy to use as it cuts rather than follows the grain. The hardest thing is getting the two angles correct on both sides of the cut….it makes a mess to recut as can be seen in the first down stroke of my “R”.

engraveteabirchspoon401lb0.jpg

engraveteabirchspooncu4xo0.jpg

To borrow one of my favorite of your phrases…..this engraver is the dogs bollucks for fun. I put a pencil mark on the handle and then just followed it along from the outside at about 40deg. The tool just glided through the wood about 1mm deep. I then reversed the spoon and followed the cut from the inside at about the same angle and the long sliver just lifted right out.

A bit more practice I need, but I am pretty happy with the results after this first trial. I am not going to mess up the cuts with coffee on this side. Flax oil bath tonight.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE