Tea Stained Spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
redteabirchspoon3972jl4.jpg

Last night I started carving out a birch spoon (from a sawn blank that Del Stubbs sent me). I started looking at it and decided I did not want another white spoon so decided to stain it in a bath of tea. I sanded it to 100 grit and have it close to its final shape.

I used Red Bush, Darjeeling, an English Breakfast and Passion (purple) "teas", about 15 bags total, to make a strong vat of color.

Here is the spoon after 2.5 hours in my tea mix.

I think a fair amount of this color will sand off. I was thinking of 4 hours of soaking, then allow it to dry and sand on down to see how much color gets removed.

After I sand it down to 340 grit I may tea treat it again…but this time with black tea only.

Experimenting.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Looking good though :D

Tea is a substantive dye, that means it doesn't need a mordant to fix the colour, but if you do use one the colour will be richer / deeper. In this case the tannin in the wood will help it to take up the dye.

Interesting to see what you get at the end.

cheers,
Toddy

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Ah Assam....I tossed in the English Breakfast for deep brown. Darjeeling makes for a better cup than a dye that is for sure.

I have dyed a spoon with coffee oil extract and that turned out nice, but never tried tea. I hope it does not come out pink.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I pulled the spoon out at 4 hours and as it is drying it is getting very pink....not my goal. A coworker said it was "hot dog" color....oh my.

Sanding after it dries and then black black tea to dehotdog it...hopefully.

Too much Red Bush.....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If that fails, I've got stuff called Glengettie (apparantly the Welsh love it :confused: ) that brews up like tar. You are most welcome to the pack.

Going to have a go with using the redbush as a dye......:D

cheers,
Toddy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Glengettie is REAL tea!
Black as the heart of a Sais, thick as his head ...but with a flavour that comes from heaven.:D
This stains Welsh teeth a nice shade of brown so it should be fine for spoons!;)
As for redbush - only good for dye! It is totally undrinkable!:yuck:

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Tea is a substantive dye, that means it doesn't need a mordant to fix the colour, but if you do use one the colour will be richer / deeper.
What could you use as a mordant Toddy? Is there something natural available or does it have to be chemical? We've been experimenting with coffee-dying bowls and I'd like the colour to fix and not fade too quickly.
Nicola

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You like it then ;) :D

I quite like Redbush, we used to call it rooibos, (don't know why it changed ) but I don'tlike the flavoured stuffs.

Glengettie and Yorkshire and Tetley I keep for other folks; me I like my taste buds functioning :eek:

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What could you use as a mordant Toddy? Is there something natural available or does it have to be chemical? We've been experimenting with coffee-dying bowls and I'd like the colour to fix and not fade too quickly.
Nicola

The issue with mordants is that they are all potentially toxic.
Generally we use Iron, Copper and Alum....(I'll happily rant about the horrendous pollution caused by tin and chrome if anyone really wants)

If your bowls will be sealed after being dyed then a gentle use of the first three ought not be a problem. Indeed, even the copper (which gives the most beautiful greens on timber) ought to be fine if not being used for liquids afterwards.

Some plants are naturally substantive, like tea and coffee, madder roots and indigo come to mind as particularly good. If your timber is naturally yellow then mild indigo will turn it green, if you use madder on the wood it will give from pale peach through to deep reds, and you can double dye so the red wood into blue will turn plumy purple......you'll never guess I like this stuff :eek:

For ease through you could use the acid dyes that come in powder form from Kemtex, if you are interested give Peter Leadbetter a phone
http://www.kemtex.co.uk/
he's very helpful and his products are very good. I rarely use 'chemical' dyes but when I asked for help and advice on them, this is the company I speak to.

I do prefer the natural dyes, I'm using gorse just now, glorious golds that I can turn into rich greens using woad :D
I like the seasonality of it all too.

When you cut alder the tree 'bleeds', I wonder if there is someway we could fix that colour in the timber using Alum maybe? Iron just makes it black.

I know of woodturner friends who raided my mordants stash and soaked bowls which had been wax designed, like batik, in the liquor. Blacks from iron, bluey greens from copper.
These two are easy to make too; soak offcuts of copper pipe in vinegar to give a pale turquoise coloured liquid or ammonia to give ink blue, or crush iron tablets in hot water to give an iron mordant, or rust down a bit of steel wool in vinegar for the same thing, takes longer though. Needn't cost much to do.

atb,
Toddy

p.s. . I was pulling rhubarb for pudding a couple of hours ago and I wondered too about the use of the leaves for mordant. They give oxalic acid, another toxin, but it can give bright colours, especially blues from berries.
Wood is a cellulose fibre and it really needs an alkaline mordant though, wood ash is the usual for very primitive style linen and hemp dyes, I wonder about using a strong soap solution with the dye liquor on the timber......

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Rooibos = Redbush in Africaans.....I have visited Clanwilliam, the centre of the Rooibos growing area, a couple of times and the drink still tastes awful - even there!
The Welsh have to drink strong tea to drown the taste of all the chemicals they put in the drinking water.....

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Schwert
Here's what it may look like after a couple years of daily use. Regular Tetley did this!

473209195ec93c28b34e1321afba9f33b310543052770751e01ada26.jpg

I was getting fed up with tea spoons going missing at work and needed something long enough to fit my insulated mug :) If nothing else everyone knows who owns it :)

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Well I pulled the spoon out of the vat of black tea this morning. 14 hours in English Breakfast and it is now drying to a nice orange/tan.....glad the hot dog pink is gone.

It has a nice smoke scent from the Lapsong too.

Rooibos is one of my favorites....it is a bit of an aquired taste though....not going to use it on wood anymore though.

I have never heard of Glengettie ever.....that sounds like a brew that polarizes. After this spoon dries I will shoot another image.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I have a little wooden spoon in my work brew kit, it gets used every day. The spoon was initially treated with tung oil, but the tea stain has got into it and made it a lot darker now... It looks nice..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE