tatonka fuel burners

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I've been looking at the above, but have never used one. They seem to be about £16, + p+p of course, for a set of the burner, flame adjuster & stand.

Anyone got one, are they better than a gas stove(msr pocket rocket) & is the flame adjuster needed ?.

Regards, Rob

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Are they better? No, they are different. they burn meths or similar. They take a LOT longer to boil water or heat food than a pocket rocket BUT they can be used in sub zero temps and don't make any noise. Fuel is very easy to find and you can run one for a lot less cost wise than a PR. If you are not in a hurry they are very good. The flame adjuster is for simmering, you don't get a jet of flame like a PR but a gentle "blossom" (the term for when it ignites as well).

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Incidentally there's a military version, but it doesn't have the simmer ring and it takes a bit longer to warm up to get the flame to bloom, so the general opinion is that it's best avoided. You can get them very cheap.

I use both the military and commercial types. I prefer them to gas or pressurized liquid if I'm in a draught-free area like a shed or whatever, but they need shelter from any wind so I prefer a pressure petrol stove or similar if I'm out in the wilds and it might be windy.

Meths burners are in general absolutely dependable, since there are no moving parts, and you don't even need to rely on the seal since you can carry it empty and just put in enough fuel for a brew. The burners don't hold a lot of fuel, so you might need to top up if you want to cook a big meal. That isn't something to be undertaken lightly. Conventional wisdom is to let it go out and cool down before topping up, so unless you carry two burners it might cramp your cooking style. I use a contact lens solution bottle which can direct a fine jet of fuel into the burner to top it up while it's alight. Don't try this at home. Occasionally I get covered in burning meths, with a bottle of meths in my hand that's also on fire. But I'm known here for being a pyromaniac, and I'm calm under pressure, so as far as I'm concerned it isn't a big deal.

:campfire: :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
They are slower than the Trangia meths burner as are the military burners in the Swedish kit. With the simmer ring you can bring to a boil and simmer for about 50 mins in a trangia burner and use less fuel than the Tatonka. All these burners are let down unless you use them with a cookset/windshield designed for them, a proper Trangia 25 or 27 will out perform the military set easily.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have one which I pair up with my Honey stove sometimes, nice bit of kit but there are quicker/lighter/less fuel hungry meths burners out there.

I didn't realise they were slower than a Trangia, this one was my first venture into meths and was told by others that it was much faster. I'm using pressured DIY stoves at the minute which really kick out some heat.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Ah bugger - sorry it's in the member only area (not sure why?) - here it is in all it's secret glory:

OK I have recently posted this elsewhere but thought it may be of interest (and therefore merit it's own thread)

I am prepared to suffer the wrath of mod if not.

Anyhow - thought I'd show how I modded my SVC to be a neat little brew kit. Unfortunately it does involve ditching the Alu bottle with the cork which for some reason I'm quite attached to.

At the end of it all you will end up with 2 cups and a "kettle". The SVC cup is pretty big anyway. The bottle doubles up as a snuffer.

You will need.
  • SVC - ditch the bottle.
  • Tantonka spirit burner
  • Stainless steel 70cl widemouth bottle with "flat" lid (very important)
  • One plastic beaker (in this case taken from a travel kettle set)
  • One plastic teaspoon (see above)
  • one zip up bag - not sure where this came from, possibly SWMBO's hair straightners.
  • One plastic fuel bottle - this one has a nifty guage on the side so you can see how full it is. In a previous life it was fishtank dechlorinator.

This is what you end up with:
IMAG0261.jpgIMAG0262.jpgIMAG0263.jpgIMAG0264.jpgIMAG0265.jpg

Right, I've shown you mine, you show me yours!

Last edited:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Ah bugger - sorry it's in the member only area (not sure why?) - here it is in all it's secret glory:

OK I have recently posted this elsewhere but thought it may be of interest (and therefore merit it's own thread)

I am prepared to suffer the wrath of mod if not.

Anyhow - thought I'd show how I modded my SVC to be a neat little brew kit. Unfortunately it does involve ditching the Alu bottle with the cork which for some reason I'm quite attached to.

At the end of it all you will end up with 2 cups and a "kettle". The SVC cup is pretty big anyway. The bottle doubles up as a snuffer.

You will need.
  • SVC - ditch the bottle.
  • Tantonka spirit burner
  • Stainless steel 70cl widemouth bottle with "flat" lid (very important)
  • One plastic beaker (in this case taken from a travel kettle set)
  • One plastic teaspoon (see above)
  • one zip up bag - not sure where this came from, possibly SWMBO's hair straightners.
  • One plastic fuel bottle - this one has a nifty guage on the side so you can see how full it is. In a previous life it was fishtank dechlorinator.

This is what you end up with:
View attachment 6578View attachment 6577View attachment 6581View attachment 6580View attachment 6579

Right, I've shown you mine, you show me yours!

Thanks for showing this.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE