Tatonka burner.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
Anyone else got a tatonka burner ? I've just had one delivered and tried it out with a honey stove and french army mess tins. Time to boil from when i put the water on (not from when it had bloomed), 13 minutes 57 seconds. Time for same amount of water, same amount of fuel for a civvy trangia 6 minutes 48 seconds. I was just wondering if they are always as slow as this or will it get better after being used a few times because as it stands i know which one i'll be using in future.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Mine gets a rolling boil in about 4-6 minutes (conditions dependant) in my volcano stove. Don't fill it too full is my only tip (although according to the BB thread the totanka burns quicker with more fuel as it has a greater capacity to a trangia). Also try weighing them both before and after use to see how much fuel they're consuming.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2011
UK
Sounds about the same as mine. Quite disapointing, the Trangia is significantly faster.
I tried my tatonka a few times in the hope that it would get better, it didn`t improve after 4-5 boils, so I`ve given up on it.
Trangia for me. Got a triangle now= great.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
From a thread on BB

AlcoholBurnerComparison.gif

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?69469-Comparison-of-trangia-style-meths-burners.

also:

Results were as follows.

Burner, Boil time, Total burn time.

Tatonka, 13m20s, 22m15s

Trangia, 8m15s, 11m30s

Lidl Clone, 12m30s, 18m15s

Stella Can, 8m45s, 12m45s

So tatonka is slower, but burns for much longer.

Last edited:

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Had one a couple of years, not noticed any significant difference in performance against civvy trangia. Its certainly faster than the military trangia style burner. Use mine in a variety of situations - in the tatonka stand, in honey stove, in SAT. never had any probs with burn time etc.
As above mentioned try experimenting with the fuel/windshield/insulation under the burner

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
I appreciate the advice but at the moment im trying it out under what i think are almost ideal conditions.......honey stove on an old chopping board on the worksurface in the kitchen.....mountainm if you want it its yours free............just pm me your addy mate.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I appreciate the advice but at the moment im trying it out under what i think are almost ideal conditions.......honey stove on an old chopping board on the worksurface in the kitchen.....mountainm if you want it its yours free............just pm me your addy mate.

Cheers Andy, PM returned!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE