Tatonka 1.0 and 1.6 litre kettle / Billy

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
What happened to the lightweight ethos mate?

Stainless = heavy

Ally/Ti = light

Lol I no exactly what you mean!! Again I don't really no a lot about pots and pans but at 400grams for a fry pan and billy I thought was pretty good tbh!!
I do like nice shiny titanium though. And 1 day it will be mine, oh yes it will be mine!!

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2

garethw

Settler
Lol I no exactly what you mean!! Again I don't really no a lot about pots and pans but at 400grams for a fry pan and billy I thought was pretty good tbh!!
I do like nice shiny titanium though. And 1 day it will be mine, oh yes it will be mine!!
Yeah, but Titanium is cr@p for cooking... and if you actually use this gear, rather than polishing it, it will be all black & sooty soon anyway. As it should be.
cheers
Gareth

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Hi Gareth, thanks for the reply mate, between you and Fin you have convinced me that I NEED the 1.6 kettle lol!!!
Im gonna treat myself to that and a Honey stove I reckon, I have been a good boy recently lol!!
And as the weight difference between the 1litre and 1.6 is minimal it makes total sense to get the bigger pot!!
Cheers for your help
Steve

Before you go for the Honey stove, have a look at the Emberlit stove http://www.emberlit.com/default.php . They're now doing one in titanium too, and I believe their shipping costs to the UK are reasonable.. I got a s/s version whilst in the US and love it - its rock-solid, lights easily and burns well, but the best bit is the ability to feed long pieces of stick into it from the bottom - a bit like a rocket stove. Saves having to keep lifting off the pot to re-feed the fire, or use really small twigs to fiddle into the stove underneath the cook-pot. And with the long pieces of thicker wood, you can control the temperature more easily too.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Before you go for the Honey stove, have a look at the Emberlit stove http://www.emberlit.com/default.php . They're now doing one in titanium too, and I believe their shipping costs to the UK are reasonable.. I got a s/s version whilst in the US and love it - its rock-solid, lights easily and burns well, but the best bit is the ability to feed long pieces of stick into it from the bottom - a bit like a rocket stove. Saves having to keep lifting off the pot to re-feed the fire, or use really small twigs to fiddle into the stove underneath the cook-pot. And with the long pieces of thicker wood, you can control the temperature more easily too.

Hi Andy, thanks for the link for the Emberlit stove!! it looks like a great little stove!!
For me though, its not quite as flexible as the Honey, I already have a Trangia burner and I really like the versatility of the Honey being able to use it in so many different ways.

I had heard that about titanium pots, something to do with uneven heat spots or something, but they would be great for boiling water in!! As much as I like it, they are very very expensive, but also very shiny lol!!! No doubt at some point I will end up buying them, in fact on backpackinglight they have some really nice little solo sets that keep catching my eye!!
Have you had much experience using a Honey? does it end up being a bit of a pain findind and/or processing wood small enough to be burnt?
Another feature I really like i being able to cook straight on the grill, like a nice burger or sausage bbq style!!

Thanks for your advise pal
Steve

Hi there
I have both a 12cm Zebra and a 1.6L Tatonka. I agree with most of the comments above. Quality slightly better on the Zebra, but not enough to worry about. I also prefer the bale onn Tatonka as it stands up on its own and lets you lift off without getting burned fingers.

There are two things that made me choose the Tatonka Kettel:

1. The bale. Fully agree with Gareth.Great over a fire and on a stove. The best thing with the bale, is that it can be secured in the up position. Nothing is worse than a bale that falls down, gets hot and you can't get at your pot without burning your fingers. The bale is also great when cooking in a bag. It does not get in the way when pulling the pot back in and out.
  2. Stainless Steel material. Yes, it is heavier than aluminum and titanium potentially is. Assuming we do not use detergents while outdoors (I don't), we are using ash, dirt, sand or plants to wipe and scrub or dishes. All potentially produce scratches. The harder a material is, the better. SS is easy to clean (inside). To get the soot off the outside, just put the empty pot on your stove and let it glow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE