tarptent protrail anybody use one in the UK?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

elefantman

Jan 24, 2014
suffolk
Afternoon all,
Following my lakeland trip having to cancelled due to my back going a few days before (injury is improving but will not ever "fix" totally) I'm now thinking of how to reduce the weight I carry for future trips.

I've already cut a lot of weight over various trips but I still lug about a 1.4kg Gelert Solo tent as although I do sometimes use my bivvy bag &/or tarp for longer trips I like a little more comfort.

So I've been looking around on the net and came across an American site Tarptent and I really like the look of their Protrail. I use hiking poles anyway so this @ 740g looks a great way to halve my tent weight without sacrificing anything comfort wise against my gelert.

Anybody got any experience of these before I shell out?

Cheers!
Jim

fluffkitten

Mar 8, 2014
Nottingham
Haven't used the Protrail but since it is an update (and from the looks of it an improvement) on the Contrail it will probably be a very good 3 season tent. Like most single wall tents you're likely to get a load of condensation but it should be manageable.

Something you may like to consider as well is the Trekkertent Stealth 1. Pretty well proven now, is dual layered (pitches outer first), is even lighter (570grams) and UK made.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
If it's anything like their Scarp 1, it'll be excellent. I have been using the Scarp 1 for six years now and it is superb: light weight, compact, easy to pitch and beautifully made; superior and significantly less expensive than a Hilleberg Akto - and without the condensation problems. I'd imagine that the ProTrail will have similar attributes but be even lighter. Go for it: you won't regret it!

elefantman

Jan 24, 2014
suffolk
Thanks all. I think I've made my mind up to go for one of the two. I'm going to do a little reading up before I decide which.... I've got time as it's unlikely I'll be doing any serious hiking for a while... flippin duff disc.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
A review of its use in the Peruvian mountains:
http://www.thehikinglife.com/2014/11/tarptent-protrail-review/

re Scarp 1/2 the weight 2/3 the price.

Scarp is a full on tent like the Akto, whereas the Protrail is really a shaped tarp with bug protection an a bathtub floor. I would love to be able to use either. The light weight of the Protrail is, for me, very attractive as I don;t do well going up steep hills with any sort of weight. However, finances demand I keep using the tarp/hammock I already have, or if no trees, a 5 lb (2.2 kilo) tent I bought in a yard sale last year. Fortunately we have more trees than you can shake a stick at.

More detailed review here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Ultralight/comments/3lv2b1/indepth_tarptent_protrail_review/

As it seems to have rained every day of this fellows trip, it should be a useful review for potetial UK use:)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE