Tarps & Ropes etc...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been using a local supplier based in Strood Kent, for many years and thought he might be of interest to the members on BCUK. He is a semi retired ex Royal Navy rigger / sailmaker who can make you just about anything from any material you want. I have included details of three recent purchases for you to use as examples.

A 3.5m x 4.5m tarp with a brass eyelet every meter around the edge was made it is made from light weight military green fire retardant tent canvas and cost £60, which I dont think is a bad price for something made from scratch, the quality imo cannot be bettered. As for the weight its 4.5kg .
I wouls honestly say that it is the ideal size for hammocking if you need a dry living / cooking area.

Spike (thats his name) also supplies rope from the drum cut to your requirement, I bought some 8mm floating rope from him for 50p per meter, and that's his normal price, he will splice any loops that you want at a very small extra charge.

He also made me two 50mm x 4m webbing straps with steel camlock buckles and they cost me £5 each.

His range of skills is beyond me, so if there is anything you need I would suggest that you call him and ask, he even made a short canvas roof for my brothers landy, and it was a super job.

If there are any issues with being able to pay for things that you want I am happy to help with my paypal account and also if there is any problems with getting things mailed to you let me know and I can collect from Spike and post them on.

Spikes number is 01634-717106

Tarp1.jpg

Tarp2.jpg

Tarp3.jpg

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
some nice work there i am looking for a 3x3 fire retardent tarp hopefully it wont weigh that much, i avent got the money at the moment but when i do i am difinitly going to ring him
have you got any sort of idea how much my tarp i want would cost?
also by fire retardent what do you mean? how fire retardent is it?
leon

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
As to the cost I am not sure, you ask "how fire retardent is it", this I am not exactly sure of as i have not tested it, I do know that it should be the same spec as a military tent, cos its made from military tent material.

If you were to give Spike a ring I am sure he can give you a much better idea than I can, he would also be able to quote you for the finnished tarp.

As far as the weight goes, mine is 4.5m x 3.5 and goes 4.5kg, so your 3m x 3m being roughly 1/3 smaller should go roughly 3kg.

Go on be a devil give him a ring, you sholud be able to understand the west cunry accent as he comes from your neck of the woods.

Let me know how you get on and if you need any help drop me a line. :)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
you can get fire retardant tent spray! ;)

as for fire proof, don't put it near a fire anything will burn! if hot enough cotton canvas burns quite well though far more safely than nylons!

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
This is the tarp / basha that I use and I can't recommend it highly enough! £29.99 from USMC at Portsmouth. www.usmcpro.com is the place to visit.
TC186D.jpg

or if you prefer Central European Cammo rather than British DPM......
TC186C.jpg

Their blurb........

"Improved version of the classic basha, 3m x 3m, manufactured from a specially designed 100% rip stop polyurethane coated fabric. This exclusive fabric is not only sturdy, but lightweight, waterproof, mould proof, produces almost no noise, doesn't glare or reflect light and is IRR treated for maximum concealment. The main seam is taped and water proofed, all the fixing straps are reinforced with eyelets and the basha can be used as a hammock with or with out a roof, a stretcher when folded in 4 etc. Weight 1280gm. Supplied with storage bag. 10 year warranty."

Don't know how flame retardent it is and I don't plan to put a match to it to find out!

Lived under it for a full week in May this year in the pouring rain and it kept me and my kit dry and snug throughout. I've also used it in place of the tarp on my Hennessey Hammock. Haven't tried using it as a hammock itself yet, but it looks to be strong enough. Nice feature is that the ridgeline has a reinforcing tape along its full length, removing the need for a ridge cord; just tie a length of paracord to each end and string it up!

Les - Henceforth to be known as Surrey Yeoman due to "Copyright" reasons!

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks les i will get te 3x3 one as soon as i have the money, i am going to sell my basha on ebay as i have recently bought a hammock and it is not big enough
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
my basha will be on ebay tonite i will post the link as soon as it goes on
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE