Tarpee Mods Update

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

Back in April I knocked out a tarpee based on an idea originally posted by another member (philb) in two patterns of fleck tarn (M84 and Bundeswehr).

It is proving to be one of the most effective and user friendly shelters that I have owned and it has been getting some serious use.

Tarpup7-17 0..jpg Tarpup7-17 1..jpg

But.

Throughout the warmer, ‘dryer’ months (yes, I know) two things came to light.

The first was that very soon after setting the shelter up a cloud of flying insects would gather inside at the apex.
Although above head height and kept there at least whilst I was brewing up, they would gradually descend to annoy me but not take the opportunity of exiting via the wide open mouth of the shelter, instead going back up into the apex with no escape.

The second was that although I take some mildly effective measures to drawn smoke and steam away from the shelter when I’ve got a stove going, some can get drawn inside and up into the apex and lingers and/or turns into internal condensation (and winds the flies up!)

Additionally – I know that I want to benefit from some heat from whichever stove that I am using during the winter months, inside the shelter. (Yes, I am aware of the various issues and will account for them).

Something had to be done – a vent of some description.

The images show the results of two days work.

The vent can be completely closed for full rain protection -

Tarpup7-17 2..jpg Tarpup7-17 3..jpg

Or opened on any side and to any amount to suit wind conditions -

Tarpup7-17 4..jpg Tarpup7-17 5..jpg

The mod has been tested out with a SAT and works well – BRS wood burner to follow when a suitable chimney has been fabricated.

My only reservation is that it has reduced the previously nice flowing line of the apex of the shelter.:)

Reactions: JFW

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE