Tarp tie on points

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Well another step closer to getting my tarp made,

These are the proposed tie on points

tarp.jpg

Prety standard apart from the three off center ones this allows my Fav tarp configuration. with the ridge line running off centre so there is a bigger flap at tne back and more of an open front allowing better view and an open fire at the front with an enclosed back (If you see what I mean)

Thoughts please

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Nice idea with the off-centre points there Pignut. One thing you may want to consider though, I generally find square tarp is more versatile than a rectangular one.

What dimensions are you going for?

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
Just a thought, if your tarp was 2.7 and the offset was say .3 that would mean from the ridge you would only have approx 1.050 cover at the 'front', if you have the material why not leave it 3.6 x 2.7, reconfig the loops so that in inclement weather you can turn the tarp through 90 degree's and have more cover?

like i say, just a thought.

Adam.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Are you planning to hammock under it or bivi? If you're thinking of hammocking, I'd suggest keeping the length. I have a hex-fly from a group-buy here and find the extra length very welcome when it pours down, I reckon it's about 3.5m along its long axis.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Just a thought, if your tarp was 2.7 and the offset was say .3 that would mean from the ridge you would only have approx 1.050 cover at the 'front', if you have the material why not leave it 3.6 x 2.7, reconfig the loops so that in inclement weather you can turn the tarp through 90 degree's and have more cover?

Adam.

Now I am glad I posted this!

Nice thinking

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Are you planning to hammock under it or bivi? If you're thinking of hammocking, I'd suggest keeping the length. I have a hex-fly from a group-buy here and find the extra length very welcome when it pours down, I reckon it's about 3.5m along its long axis.

No hammocks here!

Bivvi all the way!

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire

Adam.

Could I not do that anyway with the configuration as it is (at 2.6 x 3.7) or am I missing your point?

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
From what I can see, you have it just about right Pignut. From your picture it looks like your overhang in the alternative position is only a quarter of the height of the tarp. I'd go with Dingo's suggestion and make it 1/3, from the scale mock-up image I just made it looks better and should give loads of cover. Also your dimensions actually look pretty good too when you see it at the right ratio.

pignut.gif

D

Deleted member 4605

Could I not do that anyway with the configuration as it is (at 2.6 x 3.7) or am I missing your point?

Right now your tarp is longer than it is wide (landscape in printer terms). I think andy_e meant turn it 90 degrees so it's wider than it is long (portrait) then add the offset ridge loops.

I'd also second the suggestion of having them 1/3 of the distance from the ridgeline instead of 1/2 (as shown in your diagram).

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
suddenly I have the need for a game of Pool!

I do not want the tarp to loose the openness of the front or the or the advantages of the fire. If you see what I mean, Do you think this would go with 2/3 overhang?

1/2 offset would give 0.675m overhang
1/3 offset would give 0.9m overhang

Thoughts please

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
.. I think andy_e meant turn it 90 degrees so it's wider than it is long (portrait) then add the offset ridge loops...

That was Dingo's suggestion. :)

suddenly I have the need for a game of Pool!

I do not want the tarp to loose the openness of the front or the or the advantages of the fire. If you see what I mean, Do you think this would go with 2/3 overhang?

1/2 offset would give 0.675m overhang
1/3 offset would give 0.9m overhang

Thoughts please

A 1/3 will give you loads of cover at the front from rain etc, while still giving you plenty of openness for your fire or just for the view. From what I could see the 1/2 offset (1/4 the whole width) didn't look like it would give you as much protection. Before you decide get the fabric outside where you can set it up easily and try each way for yourself, it's the only way to know for sure :D

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
That was Dingo's suggestion. :)

A 1/3 will give you loads of cover at the front from rain etc, while still giving you plenty of openness for your fire or just for the view. From what I could see the 1/2 offset (1/4 the whole width) didn't look like it would give you as much protection. Before you decide get the fabric outside where you can set it up easily and try each way for yourself, it's the only way to know for sure :D

Indeed!

Thanks for all this folks!

EdS

you not get some webbing and run it along the entire length (the 2.7m) with an inch of "free" and inch of stitched ie like MOLLE straps on sac. That will give you 101 possible variations.

Then if you wante to go portrate just use some mini crabs/string through the desired loops to change the orientation of the tarpline.

D

Deleted member 4605

you not get some webbing and run it along the entire length (the 2.7m) with an inch of "free" and inch of stitched ie like MOLLE straps on sac. That will give you 101 possible variations.

Then if you wante to go portrate just use some mini crabs/string through the desired loops to change the orientation of the tarpline.

Nice idea. Now I want to make my own tarp...

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire

that is a good idea however.... This tarp has to look "traditional" for other uses so modern fabrics are out of the question (other then a little artificial sinew)

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Well went with my origional idea and put tie ons 1/4 of the way down (Had it strung up in both configurations) This in practice seemed to be what I wanted....

So will get on with the dying..... Where did I leave those 1000 teabags

Image032.jpg

Here is how I have made the re-enforced points

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Gonna be in a vat of tea dye for a few days, then it needs proofing

Soooooo will be a while but will get under it soon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE