Tarp / Tent for one man & his 2 dogs

KingsleyK9

Mar 25, 2012
UK
Hey All,

So it seems that GoLite’s Shangri La’s are trickling back into stock in the UK.

I have gone round and round in circles deciding if an SL3 would be right for me!

However as they will only be sold now as shelter + nest and the first guy with the new stock is charging £400!!!!! (For SL3 + Nest) This unfortunately is well out of my price range.

I am looking to get some of your ideas on alternatives.

Ok, so I will be taking my two medium dogs with me, and whilst I hope most of the time for them to be outside, I will need to bring them inside when weather turns bad.

I had thought of tarping with a bivi for me, but the thing that put me off was being unable to batten down the hatches in inclement weather.

So I kept coming back to the SL3 plenty of height & room, ability to close up, etc. My set up was also going to include a 3 x 3 tarp for cooking and to tie the dogs out in good weather!

So any ideas? Would still consider tarping if anyone had a set up that was a little more enclosed, poss two tarps combined but cant find anything on youtube.

Would prefer more low profile colours, as kind of like the MSR twin sisters but its only in bright yellow?

So where do I go next tarp? Tent? two tarps + ingenious setup?

Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated (Doggy advice or kit related)! :confused:

KingsleyK9

Mar 25, 2012
UK
light weight only?

Cheers Squidders That looks like a great piece of kit! Ticks all the boxes really except weight, really looking for something lighter!

Dogs will be carrying their own food & gear ie tie out stakes leads etc (up to 3kg each) in rucksacks which leaves me with the rest of the kit to hump around!!!!! so lighter the better really,

but it seems lighter you go in grams heavier it is in £££££'s

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
how about a beach shelter with zip up door?

I have used one as a tent; Im pretty big and so unless you have huge mutts then both can go in.

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
There's been a lot of good things written about the Mountain Laurel Designs Trailstar: http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=102

It's a sort of shaped tarp that works as a single skin shelter and has loads of space and is very stable in bad weather. A glowing revie where: http://www.andyhowell.info/Colin-Ibbotson/Trailstar-review.html

Could fit your requirements and not too expensive.

I got one last month. Love it. Really light, similar concept to the SL3, but with more pitching options and bombbproof in wind. I haven't got a nest for mine yet, as I'm still living with it to find out what I really need. Of the three colours, brown is the most unobtrusive, and there will be plenty of space for you and your dogs even when it's pitched for foul weather.

KingsleyK9

Mar 25, 2012
UK
What breed are your dogs ? from your Avatar they look like Malinois ( Belgian shepherds)

Yeah Blacktimberwolf 2 working Malinois I must be mad!!!!! You have dogs yourself?

Thanks guys, was looking at the MLD products but having never ordered anything stateside for UK delivery was concerned about time of delivery & if customs smacks on a hefty charge?

How did you get on with your order Hetzen?????

"Ogri the trog" Thats really interesting I stumbled upon it a while back but couldnt find any 2:1 ratio tarps, you know of any about?

Cheers Tengu, definately another option (but how do they perform in heavy weather)? & no mutts are 33kg but they do pack up small!

Cheers all

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
I had a couple of work colleagues going out to the states, so I asked Ron if it was possible to deliver between two dates at the address they were staying. This was only a few weeks before they were out there. All worked out great. I got the impression that he had one already made when I asked. I'm not sure what the wait times are like at the moment, it maybe worth sending him an email.

I think the Trailstar is a great design. It maybe a little large for some, for me it's a palace for me and the dog, with plenty of room for the wife if I ever convince her of tarp camping (in storm pitch it's actually quite enclosed and private). Have a look at the different ways you can set it up here...

http://dzjow.wordpress.com/2011/02/18/pitching-options-for-the-trailstar/

KingsleyK9

Mar 25, 2012
UK
Get two 3m x 3m tarps and join together. Its a plan I have with a couple of DD tarps.

Ha! Badger74 logic was never my strong point! :eek:

2 - 3 x 3 MC DD Hammocks tarps! thats pretty low profile,

Thanks Hetzen will fire an email accross just to check!

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
You could do worse than having a butchers in Classifieds, mate. Some nice tentage happening there at the moment.................

Podcast Bob

This is interesting and maybe as a past SL3 retailer I should know these things. But that's Golite for you. However on a brighter note I am importing this tent in the UK in a few weeks which I think will be extremely popular with Bushcrafters. I love it and I did the Christmas podcast 3 course Christmas meal in there for Andy and I.

Single pole TeePee supplied with a solo inner nest and less than half the price of a new SL3!

It'll be announced on the front page of backpackinglight.co.uk when they arrive.

Tent.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE