Tarp Ridge line configurations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Like many of hang my tarp off my ridge line, rather than passing the tarp over the top of the ridge line. This is great in terms of speed of deployment, flexibility etc... But the one downside is that you can't hang anything off the ridge line under the tarp to dry over night. I tried pitching my tarp upside down and hanging a wet jacket off one of the loops that's attached to the tarp, but all this did was cause the tarp to sag and create an area to fill with water (or rather leaves and acorns in this case) :

XT1A1508_sm.JPG

So I'm thinking of alternative solutions. So far I have considered:

• Seperate ridge line entirely Hung just below the other to hang stuff on. - Simple to put up, but could cause tangling and confusion when putting stuff up in the dark.
  • Length of cord attached to the same loops the ridge prussiks tie off - Uses less cord, but if I over load it, or the prussik fails, I get my tarp and my wet gear land on top of me.
  • Length of cord attached to ridge line by prussiks - Less cord than the first option, has potential to tangle things. But if it fails, it won't bring my tarp down with it.

What do other people do, what other options should I consider?

Thanks

J

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
All the tarps I have made or commissioned have loops both sides of the center seam, some have 9 inner and outer sets of loops for different pitch choices: this allows lots of "drying line options and also means that you can never pitch "inside out" by accident in the dark.
It is easy enough to add internal loops to commercial tarps either by hand sewing, machine sewing, riveting, or using those Grip things... or even suspender belt clips!

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
A separate line is what I've used Julia, just something skinny like 2mm Stein is plenty

Last night in the rain I rigged up a line under my tarp. I had brought a length of dyneema that should have been longer than my tarp, but in the dark, I couldn't find it in my pack, so ended improvising with two lengths joined by a variant of prussik. I attached them to the same loops the ridge prussiks are attached. It seemed to work, the prussik allowed me to set the right tension. Seemed to work. Will definately try that again.

J

Last edited by a moderator:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
What diameter of dyneema Julia ? Could be that some of us would be interested in buying some.

The 2mm english braids stuff like I get in the group buys. I've use a lot of the cord, having a ready supply tends to not result in one being frugal with it's use. I'm wondering if it's time to do another group buy.

J

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
The 2mm english braids stuff like I get in the group buys. I've use a lot of the cord, having a ready supply tends to not result in one being frugal with it's use. I'm wondering if it's time to do another group buy.
J
What does it cost per metre inc pp Julia.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Is that 7/64" Amsteel?

What does it cost per metre inc pp Julia.

The prices are as the last group buy, in [post=1484840]this thread[/post]. But the headline is for 10m, £4.33 (BACS)/£4.68 (Paypal). I've got about 50m I can sell.

J

Last edited by a moderator:

GadgetUK437

Forager
Aug 8, 2010
North Devon
Is that 7/64" Amsteel?
The same.
The prices are as the last group buy, in [post=1484840]this thread[/post]. But the headline is for 10m, £4.33 (BACS)/£4.68 (Paypal). I've got about 50m I can sell.
Just read that thread, break strain seems quite low for 2mm. From that, am I right to assume it's not 100% dyneema single braid? I've got some like that I bought in error, a thin dyneema core with a polyester outer, had a break strength around 120kg, instead of the 450kg+ of 2mm single braid.

Last edited:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Just read that thread, break strain seems quite low for 2mm. From that, am I right to assume it's not 100% dyneema single braid? I've got some like that I bought in error, a thin dyneema core with a polyester outer, had a break strength around 120kg, instead of the 450kg+ of 2mm single braid.

Yep, that sounds like the very same. The polyester outer gives it more durability and lessons the slipperyness, which means that it's easier to get things like a prussik to grip. I discussed it in [thread=132553]this review[/thread].

I use it on most of my tarps, apart from my stupidly ultra light RAB siltarp 1, as switching to the microparacord for that tarp shed 20 something grams, which on a 198g tarp, is significant...

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE