Tarp Pattern

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ledders666

Jun 6, 2010
bath
I have just bought 3mx1.5m of fabric to make a tarp. I was just going to make a rectangle. But after some googling I have noticed that many people add curves between the tie down points which makes sense to keep it taunt without slack parts.

Has anyone made one like this or have a pattern they think would work? I will be setting it up over bike wheels, poles and between trees.

Thanks

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
With that little fabric I would keep everything you have and not try making catenary curves. Also, if you have not sewn this kind of material before, straight rolled hems will be much easier than trying to sew curved hems.

I would have bought twice as much fabric. 3x2 tarps are pretty good for ground sleeping, but 3x1.5 is going to be spartan.

All the tarps I have made have been much bigger than your project. I have done two rectangular with ridge seams, one hex with catenary curved edges (which was a pig to make...hex edges stretch and need to be tape bound), one sort of rectangle/hex with doors also with curved edges, and two single piece tarps from 1.8m material to be used asym style.

With yours I would add reinforcing triangles at corners and half way points along edges, roll hems, attach grosgrain ribbon tie outs, maybe with some extra points along the long edges, but these can be added later. Done.

Jellyfish on Youtube has good sewing tutorials.

ledders666

Jun 6, 2010
bath
Thanks for the response.

Well I've not started it yet, so one of my thoughts was that I buy another 3m of the same fabric and sew them together to give more scope to make a different pattern. as I'd then have a roughly 3mx3m square to cut a shape from.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Catenary is the shape of the curve. That said, there isn't a lot of difference in the shape formed by a bent slat and a catenary chain and the bent slat is easier to work with.

Nothing you need to know is new, it is all out there for the finding already, if you know the words to use to search for it. This lot should help you along.

Reactions: Robson Valley

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE