Tarp making

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have the fabric, the thread, the eyelets and both bungee cord and I'll buy some paracord.

What's the best layout of fastening points or eyelets for a tarp intended to provide sheltering cover over the area just above the doorway, and in front of, my tent ?

Also, what size and shape would be most practical ?

cheers,
Toddy

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I have the fabric, the thread, the eyelets and both bungee cord and I'll buy some paracord.

What's the best layout of fastening points or eyelets for a tarp intended to provide sheltering cover over the area just above the doorway, and in front of, my tent ?

Also, what size and shape would be most practical ?

cheers,
Toddy

Depends on what tent you're talking about, but I'd go for a fairly large square tarp and you can then use it in many configurations. A square will make a nice diamond tent on it's own. As for attachment points, I'd tend towards loops sewn in with re-enforcement triangles covering the stitched ends of the loops.

Maybe something like the one I'm making for Rancid Badger:
3x4-canvas-tarp.jpg

Only square, but you can see the attachments.

Just the way I'd do it mind, others may disagree.

Eric

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Neat Eric :D
Would there be any benefit, do you think, to having a rope in the hem channel and having the loops coming off from that ?

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Variable :rolleyes: :D

I use everthing from a one (wo) man weighs less than 500g to an old Black's Niger.

The one I expect to use soonest is a 3 man dome tent with a side entry front porch.
I think the tarp size I'm after is maybe more about the logistics of how big can I get away with, that will tie up easily ( I'm 5' 2" and I don't climb trees these days :puppy_dog ) but still not be too ginormous to dry and store or carry in to site.

cheers,
Toddy

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I allways carry a poncho and have found that they make great porches used with walking poles. or just slung up over the tent if its woody enough to tie it up.

I also generally pack a basha for its multiple uses, generally as a porch then I lay it on the tent roof using pegging points then stick the front on the poles and peg to the ground in the same way larger tents with porch doors do.

2x3m or 8x4 in old money is normally big enough, decathlon do a ready made tent tarp kit for their quetcha range for 20 quid or you can get a military poncho for less and in olive green. I know you wanted to make one but for a lightweight one it might be easier and cheaper to buy and adapt something :)

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
You could incorporate rope into the hem channel, but it's probably overkill for what you want. Rope would help prevent the tarp from tearing under extreme stress, but that's not something you're likely to be subjecting it to. If you do decide to use rope, and include loops from that, you'll have to stitch the rope into the hem and not just insert it or it will pucker up when you put tension on the corners.

Have you considered stitching tape along the hem? Then you'd only have to fold the edge once and have the tape covering the raw edge. You could make the loops from the tape and just run a zig-zag to toughen where the bungees will pull it.

I'll bring a roll of 1" soft tape up to the Crannog next weekend and you can have a look at it and see what you think.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE