tarp hanging

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
This is probably a stupid question with an easy answer but I can't see it.

I've got a tarp - one of those Aussie army hootchies - and I've been playing with it in the garden. When I hang it on a taut line and guy out the four corners the ends always slide a little towards the middle and it bunches up on the line. Am I doing something wrong?

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
Hey,

You should tie short pieces of cord to the tarp on the loops at both ends (in the middle), and then tie them to the ridge line using an adjustable knot (many use the Prusik knot. I use one that I discovered myself and havn't been able to find a name for). Then you can adjust the tension as it is needed.

Jake.

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
Thanks to you both.
I'd tried a rolling hitch but it didn't grip very well; I'll give the Prusik a go.
Thanks for the Sgt Rock link, I'm intending to use a hammock that I've made from plans on the net. The first use wasn't wildly successful because as I slept the clothes line pole pulled slowly out of the ground and I woke with my head on the floor and my feet pointing up the apple tree. There's a lot more cement around the bottom of the clothes line pole now.

S

Siecroz

woodwalker said:
In the army I think they tend to use bungees (thick elastic cord with hooks on either end)
woodwalker

Your right woodwalker.. I have been using Bunjees (sometimes called roof rack/trailer elastics) for years on exercise with my basha.. but I have found on many occasion problems :

• Your bunjees are either too short or too long
  • if they snap (its happened) or get burnt, they are pretty useless
  • If they spring off or the basha rips, they can cause quite nasty injuries if it catches you
  • If your anchor points are not brilliant, the elasticassy tends to spring your stake/peg out
  • if your trying to pitch to a small tree or use it to lift to a branch, the elastic bends the branch too

I have now started to rely on cordage, and a couple of knots..

I saw Ray Mears tie a "Siberian hitch"... I couldn't find it anywhere in books or online, and had to re-watch the episode a few times and plenty of practice before I cracked it... its a GREAT knot.. and it quick release (which is much better than a bunjee if you are "bumped" and have to make a quick withdrawel)...

Either a round turn and two half hitchs, or a figure 8 knot to secure anything to the pegs...

And for anything that needs tensionsing.. I agree with above... either prussiks (two fishermens bends make a good prusik loop) or a bowline is also adjustable, but not as quick as the Prusik.

All practice... you'll crack it Nobby :D

Reactions: Bob-a-job

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I bought some guyline tensioners for my corner lines - they seem more reliable than the tautline hitch, which I've found seems to slip a little sometimes, and they make it very easy and quick to get a nice tight tarp.

S

Siecroz

UNBELIEVABLE....

weeks of searching in books... looking online... google, ask, lycos..

nothing about a siberian hitch that Ray talked of...

Hours of pause buttons on the VCR to crack the knot... and then!!

I browse BCUK Forums minutes after posting the above and find out its actually called an EVENK knot!!

And someone has posted how to do it on here

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=12444

:banghead:

bushcraft uk Forums... :You_Rock_

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Well, one reason that it does not stay tight all over has to do with the fact that it is a flat rectangle. If you pitch it on a couple of poles as a small pup tent, it will sag on the sides also. If you notice most tents that are A-frame type have a curve cut into the peak of the roof. This is called cantenary cutting. Not that I suggest you cut your excellent Aussie Hootchie! It is just the way a flat square or rectangle hangs when you tighten the peak. No matter what you do with it there will always be some sagging in the sides or the ridgeline. One thing I do not recommend is stretching the thing too tight and possibly damaging the shape of the nylon permanently. Cheers :)

Slimey

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2005
Hertfordshire
maddave said:
The tautline hitch is good for guys and such, but isn't a quick release knot...

Details at the link below

http://www.student.virginia.edu/~brmrg/knots/taut.html

All you need to do is add a draw loop when tying the knot, it's very quick to undo then. I always do this when setting out the guys on my basha if I'm using paracord instead of bungees.
Another thing you can do is put a small twig in the draw loop and pull it tight, this stops you pulling it undone accidentally.

Simon

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I reckon it's well worth the tiny expense of proper guy line tensioners - much less faffing around involved.

As for the issue of sagging, I don't find that a problem. I have a ridgeline that runs through a small tape loop on the ridge of my tarp, and prussic loops at each end of the tarp ridge. This holds the centerpoint of the tarp very close to the ridgeline, whilst allowing the ends to sit lower - effectively inverting the sag you would otherwise get in the ridge and holding everything nice and tight.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Slimey said:
Uless you're putting your line around a tree... :D :D

Simon.

Nope, no problem at all there - the tensioners are on the basha end of the guyline, not the loose end. ;)

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I noticed that in Ray Mears "Bushcraft" book his tarp is flat as a flat thing in flat town on flat Friday yet its only pegged out the corners with paracord and there is nothing pulling the top straight. :notworthy

Bob-a-job

Sep 19, 2019
Purley, Surrey
Hey,

You should tie short pieces of cord to the tarp on the loops at both ends (in the middle), and then tie them to the ridge line using an adjustable knot (many use the Prusik knot. I use one that I discovered myself and havn't been able to find a name for). Then you can adjust the tension as it is needed.

Jake.

Hey Jake,

Interested to know how you tie the knot you discovered and what advantages it has over the Prusik or taut-line hitch knots etc?

All the best.

Bobby

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE