Tarp cordage.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

OutdoorsJames

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2017
Somerset
Just ordered a hammock and tarp under the group buy. Got the 3x3 normal version.... How much paracord do you recommend that I take with me for stringing up the tarp. Along the main ridgeline...

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Don't use a ridge line. Find two trees exactly 3 Metres apart and nail the loops at the ends to the trees.

( sorry, I am just in one of them moods!!)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'm a big fan of pitching the tarp along the diagonal if it's not too windy. You get to see out better, and good coverage.

Buy 100 feet of cord, allow 25' for the ridgeline (I don't use the tabs, I run it under the tarp with a couple of prussics). The rest of the cord use for tie outs.

No need to go for top quality cord for this, just get some cheap stuff.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
+1 for the diagonal hang on a 3x3. I would use the loops mind and hang the tarp from the ridge line. Also the diagonal hang means the 2nd and 4th loops on the tarp ridge line can be used to pull out the sides and give more head room under the tarp. I was unsure of the diagonal hand at first but in a wood I find you don't get a lot of rain coming in from the side it is much more straight down. This means that while there is only a little bit of cover at your head and feet there is still enough cover but you get an worthwhile increase in covered area to the sides. Another point worth mentioning is the need for a drip line on your hammock webbing. Google "drip line hammock" and you will get more info. Plus you want to get a CCF mat.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I use this stuff, very light and compact and very strong, 2mm will do guy lines and ridge line, 3mm for ridge line if you really want to go a bit ott https://www.jimmygreen.co.uk/item/2198/marlow-excel-pro-mini-reels

How much to use for the ridge line depends on how large the trees are and how far apart of course, I think mine are around 12m and are generally more than enough, could probably get away with less most of the time. Guy lines are a bit arbitrary too, I think unlikely to need or want more than 3m each most of the time, 2m probably adequate generally.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I get a spool of 'throwline' which I just search for off ebay, I think this is the same as the marlow pro??, it's a marlow line anyway. I go for bright garish colours cause it makes it much easier to see when you put it down!

some like putting a bit of bungee or elastic in the tarp tie-outs to give a little resilience in higher winds.

OutdoorsJames

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2017
Somerset
Okay, thanks for this info. I already have a alpkit (numo)?? ( one with the air chambers' along the length of the mat). So this should suffice. I will defiantly make one of the drip lines. Can't this also be eliminated with the whoopie sus kit?. Not buying one just wondering.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have double drip lines made of 1.5mm cotton braid cord wrapped to my whoopie slings, inboard of the adjustment. In Wales the outer one often gets soaked and leaves a bit to get picked up by the second. Definitely not stopped by the whoopie alone!

There is an good video on Youtube about breaking the path of water in your suspension system. String wins!

[video=youtube;c0-uOekjcU0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0-uOekjcU0[/video]

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Always buy more cord of several kinds than you think you will ever need.
Forests and fields eat cord. Homes and vehicles eat cord.
Other people need "just a few meters."
Black tarred #18 nylon seine cord comes about 2,000' per 1 pound spool.
Breaking strength around #400, same as #18 surveyor's cord.
It's at least half gone.
Can't believe that I actually put all that to good use.

OutdoorsJames

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2017
Somerset
I have double drip lines made of 1.5mm cotton braid cord wrapped to my whoopie slings, inboard of the adjustment. In Wales the outer one often gets soaked and leaves a bit to get picked up by the second. Definitely not stopped by the whoopie alone!

There is an good video on Youtube about breaking the path of water in your suspension system. String wins!

[video=youtube;c0-uOekjcU0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0-uOekjcU0[/video]

Surprising how effective the string is in comparison to all of the other fancy designs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE