Tarp/Basha pitching without trees

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
hi everyone!
having just got my new 2 man tent, i'm off camping this weekend with SWMBO. She's used to the big 12 berth, so the lowness of the terra nova quasar may well chuff her off a bit.
so i've just got one of these;
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DPM-basha-pon...ryZ36077QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
and i'm thinking that i could rig it over the door side of the tent, and give her a shelter that she can sit under in her chair, as she likes to do, bless her.
however, all the tarp pitching threads i've searched only show tree pitching . any pictures/hints/tips/advice on pitching a sturdy basha without a tree?
thanks

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
You could rig something up like this...

Basha.jpg

But I'm not sure how'd you would get the back ridge line setup.

You could use 4 poles I guess ( stake out the poles and lines securely tho), or even pitch it at a 45 deg angle, but I'm not sure they'll be enough room for the missus to setup her chair under in that setup.

EDIT: There's a PDF here with more tarp setups than you can shake a stick at... (OTT tho, find it hard reading myself)
http://www.equipped.org/tarp-shelters.pdf

Good luck mate.

Cheers
Carlo

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
You could rig something up like this...

Basha.jpg

But I'm not sure how'd you would get the back ridge line setup.

You could use 4 poles I guess ( stake out the poles and lines securely tho), or even pitch it at a 45 deg angle, but I'm not sure they'll be enough room for the missus to setup her chair under in that setup.

Good luck mate.

Cheers
Carlo

In that example, you have the obvious fron guylines, but you also have guy lines off of the centr of the tarp, where it changes angle. Quite simple and pretty effective. Of course, if it is windy, pitch it in the traditional A style otherwise you'll get cold!

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
A couple of stout but thin poles tied in an A frame at the front and the back lashed over the entrance to the tent might do the trick. Otherwise have it as a raised shelter away from the tent. Three poles, two upright and a crosspiece with the tarp slung over the crosspiece and bungies out at the four corners pegged to the ground. Just make sure the uprights are tall enough to get the chair under.

You could always buy a builder's tarp from B&Q for a couple of quid and make a larger shelter with that. Keep the DPM one for use as a side wall if it's windy.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE