What size Tarp and pole for family shelter I do t know enough to choose

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 3, 2013
London
Dear all

I have read lots of your posts but I now need to ask your advice.

I want to buy a tarp to provide us, 2 adults and 2 small boys, with a shelter for our tent camping trips. We have a small 3 man tent and would like some extra space, especially if it rains. I may be expecting too much to think we could have a shelter that would keep us dry but not being soaked would be good. Also I would like to be able to have a fire and the option to cook even if it rains. I would also like to use it for sun shelter. All the things wanted from a shelter including sociable space and possibly room for a visitor or 2. (We are to camp with another family)

I am planning to buy a dd tarp as this has been thoroughly recommended here. I however want to be able to put the tarp up with or without trees. I would also like to use it in my garden for shelter and fun for the kids. Therefore I want to be able to use poles. I have one useful tree in my garden.

Would you recommend I use a 3x3 or 3x4 or 4x4? I saw the video of the woman survivalist using a 3x4 and it looked ace. As we are a family, more space would be good but I also want to be able to manage put it up and have it stay up. I think I would like to option of pitching it high on long poles (someone recommended washing line poles). Mostly we'll have the car and weight won't be an issue. Is there more flexibility with a square tarp but would the 3x4 allow me more space without being too problematic or would a 4x4 be possible.

I would appreciate the benefit of your experience.
Thanks
Magnuss

Oct 3, 2013
London
Thank you Crosslandkelly that looks really good and a 4x4 would offer lots of space, I think this would be my best option. Do you also think a 4x4 would be possi me to set up with 2 poles either end of diagonal and pegged to the ground on the other 2. to offer also an option of a higher shelter? I hope that makes sense?

Magnuss

Oct 3, 2013
London
Thank you

I will have a look at the different set ups. I'm glad to k ow that I could use a 4x4 in these 2 configurations. I had been leaning towards the larger tarp but didn't know if it would be so useful without trees.

:)
Magnuss

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE