Tarp and Hammock Tutorial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I`m interested in this as i have just made a prototype strap that can be adjusted from both ends for length but also has a lot of other tension questions that i could do with some help on if there is a willing member who could be trusted not to run off with my idea, lol. ( no smilies on my comp` showing, sorry)

Istvan

Apr 4, 2010
Willington
Hi All!
I have a DD Travel hammock. I`m thinking to get an under blanket as well. How is that works? Can I sleep with this at winter only use my summer sleeping bag? Thanks

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi All!
I have a DD Travel hammock. I`m thinking to get an under blanket as well. How is that works? Can I sleep with this at winter only use my summer sleeping bag? Thanks

Which under blanket are you thinking about getting ? If you go for the Snugpak one you'll be toasty underneath but you might feel a chill on top with just a summer bag. I use a full length down UB from the states along with a -10 Aplkit down bag for winter hammocking.

Have a look at hammockforums.net if you've not seen it before, there's some great vids on there

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
With an underblanket, the sleeping bag doesnt need to be used underneath you and can be just used as a quilt with a footbox-this gives more loft and warmth to it in a hammock. Using them like this will leave you with a cold head end though.

I have slept in the snow at -5 with no bag and 3 foam mats and was properly warm, but then I am a bag of lard and by all accounts, a bit strange. :)

It all depends on the user, but if your an average warmth/cold sleeper, you will need something warmer.

monkey spanner

Forager
Jul 4, 2010
kent
Hi guys

check out shug on you tube,hes a nutter but has a great 11 part series on tarps & hammocks go to

shugemery

hammock hanging how to essentials for noobs & whatnot

what he dont know aint worth knowing

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
where do you buy your tapes from and how much are they?

I've always recommended Walkhigh but they seem to be having a few issues at the moment

I think I had the same stuff as Will which is the 18mm tubular stuff here

Any polyester climbing tape will do you as long as it's rated

DD sell some hammock tape but I'm not sure how good it is, I know the old stuff used to stretch something rotten but I think Nicks got better stuff nowadays.

royce22

Sep 24, 2010
Camberley Surrey
excellent guide, but me being me I'm having a little problem with the first knot. when I put tension on the line the knot flips over the line and seems to partially undo. it still holds very well,but I'm not certain I'm tying it correctly. does this knot have a name? if so I could look it up and try with different instructions etc
Many thanks roy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
excellent guide, but me being me I'm having a little problem with the first knot. when I put tension on the line the knot flips over the line and seems to partially undo. it still holds very well,but I'm not certain I'm tying it correctly. does this knot have a name? if so I could look it up and try with different instructions etc
Many thanks roy

Is that the tarp ridgeline ? Which page of the tutorial is the knot on which you're talking about ?

royce22

Sep 24, 2010
Camberley Surrey
Do you mean the evenk hitch like this, about 30 secs in ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE7dx0WJo9o

Yes, yes I do.

It would appear that I was tensioning the knot incorrectly and it looks a bit more obvious in the video.

Many thanks for your help :)

Yep after having another go once I got home from work, I can confirm it works just fine thanks for the help again and for a great post

Last edited:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Don't know if this will help anyone but for metric bods who like graphs:

hammockload.png

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE