Tapping wasp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kennyboy

Jul 15, 2009
N.Ireland
Out far a dander this evening. Heard a faint tapping. Upon further investigation came across a wasp (Vespula vulgaris) busily banging its head on the stem of last years Teasel.

At first I thought it might be cleaning its mandibles. Then I noticed other wasps flying along the stems, as if looking for something, before landing and starting to headbang.

Can anyone explain this behaviour?

Here is a video of one of them at it. It's not the best video but you get the gist.
[video=youtube;BxLTUEXLS_o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxLTUEXLS_o&feature=yo utu.be[/video]

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Here's a picture of a wasp I found collecting wood from a fence post. Took a lot of attempts before I got a shot in focus, because of the vibrating behaviour described by kennyboy

The pale brown areas on the post are where wood has already been chewed off.

8883822992_ab5a781023_b.jpg

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
We've got a wasps nest above a window here at the office. They've moved on from eating a gate now and have started work on my composter which is made of pallets. I was kinda hoping they'd stick at it on the gate because it needs rubbing down for painting :rolleyes:

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Teasel seems to be the wasps favorite in my garden too. They make quite a noise for their size and I thought it was a bird at first.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Tried to get a pic of them eating my composter but they move so quickly it's hard to get a good shot. They were building up surprisingly large balls of wood though.

110713_zpsf0443131.jpg

kennyboy

Jul 15, 2009
N.Ireland
Thanks for the info. As a townie whos only interaction with wasps is of the insane blind panic, arm swirling, variety I now have a new respect for these maligned critters. Truly amazing photos there!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE