Tapping birch, what am I doing wrong?

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Hi,
I tried tapping birch today, and not a drop.
I thought early to mid March was the right time.
No leaves yet, but small buds are formed.
I tried a couple of tall trees, (I cheated and used a battery drill) about 8" off the ground.
Don't worry, I plugged them anyway.

Any ideas / thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
I had ago early this week and the trees gave a nice flow, but my drill was blunt so I only used the knife to get a little. I think it's a hit or miss situ with the season

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
The only birch trees I can readily identify are silver birch. Are they good for tapping as well?
Can you drink the sap straight from the tin, or do you have to do anything first?

Armleywhite

Nomad
Apr 26, 2008
Leeds
www.motforum.com
Silver Birch are the ones I tap regularly, well, at this time of year of course. I usually use the knife and stick method to drip the sap into a pot, covered with a layer of muslin to stop crap falling in. Drink it straight from the pot if you like, I do, or if you have enough simmer it down to a syrup to use as you wish. Or, if you tap enough tree's make wine / beer from it. Try not to take too much from one tree though.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Mabey I'm trying the wrong type of birch tree.
By silver birch, do you mean the type with papery bark that peels itself?
I tried a different type, where the bark does not peel itself.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The time that sap rises is very localised so its best just to try every few days with a different tree. If you are just testing a tree just use the point of a knife and see if it starts to drip rather than drilling away, if the knife point doesnt draw any sap then there is no point going any further.

Its just a matter of luck really, just save the drilling for the ones that are complying ;)

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Mabey I'm trying the wrong type of birch tree.
By silver birch, do you mean the type with papery bark that peels itself?
I tried a different type, where the bark does not peel itself.

Don't worry, It sounds like you have a birch.
silver birch have an almost white outer papery bark, but other parts of the tree might be quite rough or a more browney colour, as long as it has the thin papery cover it's silver birch.

As for tapping, I'm not an expert but In books I've read it says it's best to try after a rainstorm.

I tapped a tree early march but the tree was sat on quite waterlogged ground.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE