Tapping Birch trees - a guide

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Just found this for anyone wondering what birch tapping's all about.:rolleyes:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5903128_tap-birch-trees-sap.html

How to Tap Birch Trees for Sap
Contributor By Ann Wolters

eHow Contributing Writer

Article Rating: (0 Ratings)

You may tap any variety of birch for sweet and tasty sap. Sometimes black and golden birch sap, with their distinct wintergreen flavor, are preferred. But birch sap from any sort of tree--deep, velvety and perhaps carmel-like--has a complex and versatile flavor. Birch sap also contains vitamin C, manganese, potassium and calcium. Though birch syrup production is growing in Alaska, birch tapping is not so common elsewhere. Perhaps it is because more than 100 gallons of birch sap are needed to make a single gallon of birch syrup. The sap has other uses as well. Some people drink the sap straight, while it also finds its way into soups, salad dressings, candy, and even beer and wine.

Difficulty: Moderate

Things You'll Need:
Drill
5/16-inch drill bit
Drill brace
Spiles
Hammer
2 squirt bottles
Water solution with 10 percent bleach
Water
Collection buckets

Instructions

Step 1 Break off the tip of a small birch branch. If sap oozes out, then the tree is ready to be tapped.

Step 2 Drill an inch-deep hole in the birch tree about waist high. Use a brace and drill at a slightly upward angle of about 10 percent.

Step 3 Tap the spile gently into the hole with a hammer. Squirt a 10 percent bleach solution into the hole to discourage bacterial growth, and then rinse it out with water. Hang the bucket on the spile.

Step 4 Repeat the process on other birch trees. Usually, only one tap per tree is recommended.

Step 5 Collect the sap daily. If the weather is warm, keep in mind that birch sap spoils quickly so more frequent collection may be necessary.

Step 6 Discontinue sap collection as soon as the birch tree buds. At this point the sap gets cloudy and the taste changes drastically. Pull the spiles out of the birch trees and allow them to heal by themselves.

Placing anything on the holes does more harm than good, according to the University of New Hampshire Cooperative Extension.

Not sure about squirting bleach into the hole (step 3) but...there you go
I've found something real good to collect it in with one way valves etc if it falls over (If you was at the Norwich Meet , you'll know what I'm on about......)

Hope it helps :pokenest:

Last edited:

catweasel

Tenderfoot
Dec 10, 2009
rotherham
Pull the spiles out of the birch trees and allow them to heal by themselves.

Placing anything on the holes does more harm than good, according to the University of New Hampshire Cooperative Extension.

thats a new one on me, not sure about that....

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I dunno, the tree should heal itself for small holes hence if you stick a plug in it your not only restricting the flow of sap in that area but your stopping the tree's own ability to heal over the wound.
hence i prefer small hole over big and leave it be, the tree will heal itself.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
if you're careful ( or clumsy:eek:) you can do the whole thing with just a mug.

Last year by mistake while hanging up a parachute, I snapped off a birch twig (pencil thickness) after a few minutes I noticed it was dripping, I collected the sap. simple as.

because it was a small and natural break it healed quickly.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
There was a post from a tree surgeon fairly recently that said the same thing, putting anything into the wound may be putting some contaminate in to the tree, same with coating the wound with stuff.

Cheers,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE