Talking Nuts

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I use "MAGGI" Coconut Milk Powder, I put measured amounts it in ziplock bags along with jordens no sugar Muesli, dried fruit & cristalised fructose... Just add water for a tasty "Posh" Bushy breakfast.
I buy it 1 killo at a time on line, can't seem to find it in local shops perhaps there is just no demand to warent them stocking it as it tends to be realy expensive trending @ anything from £10 up to £25 per killo I refuse to pay more than £13 per killo inc P&P & even then I think that is extortionate...

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
When I figured out that I have a dairy sensitivity I thought that powdered coconut milk might be the answer for my bushcraft breakfast cereal, but the stuff I have found incorporates dairy milk powder, which is kind of annoying. Seems like that is common to a lot of coconut milk products, other than the wet stuff specifically sold for the dairy afflicted. Is it the same with the MAGGI type?

Hadn't really thought about the impact of falling nuts. That paradise image of a hammock on a beach between coconut trees suddenly loses a little more appeal!

I imagine that although power carving the tagua nuts is the most popular (as it seems to be for ivory of all kinds) but it can't always have been the case. The Inuit and Chinese were carving ivory long before Dremel. Work holding still looks like a problem. I just looked on Google images and was amazed at all the cool stuff people have made, so it isn't an insurmountable problem.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
When I figured out that I have a dairy sensitivity, I thought that powdered coconut milk might be the answer for my bushcraft breakfast cereal, but the stuff I have found incorporates dairy milk powder, which is kind of annoying. Seems like that is common to a lot of coconut milk products, other than the wet stuff specifically sold for the dairy afflicted. Is it the same with the MAGGI type?

Pretty much, the maggi does indeed contain the Milk Protein (Sodium Caseinate), so yes.
On the product labble Maggi is a bit vague about the ingredients, in as much the print is too small to be legable even with my glasses on, but Google is my friend... & also like you I was surprised to learn that powdered coconut milk contains actual milk protiens.

For P.C. perhaps it should really be called coconut & milk powder?

Fortunately for me, unlike you, I do not have any dairy sensitivity, I imagine that must be horibly challanging for you?

Last edited:

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'd never seen it. Green package size like a deck of cards.
Son-in-Law found it. Shave it into curry with a sharp knife.
I don't need to use a whole can of coconut milk at a time.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I like the way coconut changes the sharpness of some curries and garam masalas.
Plus, doesn't make my guts churn.

You ever see a coconut crab from Fiji? Big. They live in burrows like some kinds of rabbits.
They can climb the palms to snip off coconuts and then pinch them open on the ground.
So. Smart enough to know where coconuts come from.
I never found out if we could kill and eat them. 8 lb maul seems about right.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Look more like lobsters to me.
Wish my guts could still do fresh mature coconut meat.
Crabs of any kind are all garbage cans, as far as I can tell.
Finished on coconut. How yummy is that.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
When I figured out that I have a dairy sensitivity I thought that powdered coconut milk might be the answer for my bushcraft breakfast cereal, but the stuff I have found incorporates dairy milk powder

This might be of interest to you Mr Claycomb?

£7.79 per killo

VEGAN COCONUT MILK POWDER

*A Finer Powdered Dairy Free Milk Powder with Lower Fat Content (than our Coconut Milk Powder with 65% Coconut Oil Content)

*An Excellent Dairy Free Milk Alternative, Delicious Coconut Flavour and Taste

*Vegan, Gluten, Soy, Lactose and Dairy Free, Unlike Other Coconut Milk Powders this does not contain Sodium Caseinate

https://www.realfoodsource.com/product/vegan-coconut-milk-powder/?gclid=CIyw_Lv1itUCFZUYGwoduJEHBA

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Is your sensitivity to caseine or lactose?

Two different fish.

No idea. :confused: I have been assuming Lactose, but to be honest, I haven't done enough trial and error testing to be able to tell. Not sure how I would manage to separate the two in order do to testing, especially since there are a load of other things that cause me the same reaction, some known, some suspected, some just a puzzle. Other things include eggs (white or yolk), sesame seeds, anything from the mint family (try to avoid swallowing toothpaste), ginger, black pepper, probably cayenne pepper, maybe paprika, chocolate (even the dark stuff that has no milk), maybe dates. There are other things that I don't know, since I often get a reaction when I have avoided all the above, but I haven't figured out a pattern for that yet.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No idea. :confused: I have been assuming Lactose, but to be honest, I haven't done enough trial and error testing to be able to tell. Not sure how I would manage to separate the two in order do to testing, especially since there are a load of other things that cause me the same reaction, some known, some suspected, some just a puzzle. Other things include eggs (white or yolk), sesame seeds, anything from the mint family (try to avoid swallowing toothpaste), ginger, black pepper, probably cayenne pepper, maybe paprika, chocolate (even the dark stuff that has no milk), maybe dates. There are other things that I don't know, since I often get a reaction when I have avoided all the above, but I haven't figured out a pattern for that yet.

A visit with an allergist (might be called an immunologist there?) might be helpful.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE