Talk to me about press studs/poppers please

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
ok folks, i'm in need of a little education please. Got a couple of projects on the go that are gonna require press studs to be fitted

I'v never fitted any of these before so i'v no idea on things like fabric thickness sizing, quality brands/places to buy, best type of aplicator, and so on
So just looking for some general advice/pointers type stuff :D

To give you folks something to go on i mostly need these for army wool blanket and windproof smock type fabrics
i guess i'll need the hammer and punch type aplicator as some these will be several feet in from any edges

Cheers.......adam

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've always had good results using "Prym" poppers and eyelets, good quality and not expensive.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
The thickness of material can be a problem if you have not got enough neck left on the stud to make a good turnover. Otherwise they pull apart. You can get some with longer necks to go through thicker material.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
birchwood's right, and Leprevo sell sets specifically for leather if that's what you're after.
Mind too that not all of them are 'rustproof', and that virtually all of them, regardless of their different branding are now made in China. The exception used to be Tandy's who sourced theirs from America.

One of the reasons I prefer the older set up was that it pretty much allows me to force the material into compression so that the 'shank' does go through and the two parts embed properly. Commercially it's a foot press that's used in small factories.

M

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Cheers, yeah i thought there would be longer ones for knife sheath type leather work. but i'm talking two layers of wool (toddy's cloak)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah, those ones I linked to will do that no bother at all. Just understand how they fit together and make sure you have them well seated and they'll be fine. Same with the prymm ones.
I use the Kam snaps for fine wool sometimes and those are just plastic, not even metal, and they hold securely :)

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE