Talk me into buying a honey stove or equiv. I have the urge to pee my cash up the wal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
The honey stove attracts me as it's multifuel and can feed my need for fire. I have a trangia 27 series and carrying fuel is not fun. It's big bulky and boring to use.

I like the idea of a honey stove or something similar. Could people reccommend or put forward thier experiences?

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
From what I have seen, you can use the Trangia burner in the stove so you can still use the meths burner and have a pretty bombproof cooking unit which has the added bonus of being able to use gathered fuel in place of the meths burner. Throw a green heat gel or hexi block on and you now have a piece of kit that can use three different fuel sources. Sounds pretty decent to me!

Not sure how much of a fire scar these things leave though, but I doubt it is that bad.

oscari

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 28, 2010
outdoors
I have one ,you need one.
It runs on hexi,wood pine cones,meths,dried dung almost anything that will burn.It fold into a pouch 15cmx15cmx5mm.It is very light and can accommodate any size or shpe of billy you put on it.It has no moving parts and the only maintenece is a quick wash now and again.
The only downsides I've heard about but not been affected by are :-It's hard to assemble with cold hands solution,,,keep your hands warm.
It is fiddly to assemble solution,,,, practice.

i also assume :rolleyes: you could use the Trangia Gas insert in it

ATB

Duncan

PS or make a hobo stove then you can really Pi~~ teh money up teh wall on Booze :lmao:

Hobo4.jpg

Hobo2.jpg

does the same job but packs smaller (honest) and dosnt need warm hands and good dexterity to put together :pokenest:

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Whether it's a Honey stove, Nimblewill stove or Hobo stove, get one!
Truth is, there's nothing like cooking on a fire. And a metal stove is a good, controllable, responsible way of having a fire. It's self-contained, robust and satisfying. And after you've cooked you can keep the fire burning to stay warm and cosy.
Marvellous things.

Don't buy one. Just light a proper fire and cook over that instead. They only burn twigs and small fuel (unless you are using a trangia in which case, why bring the honey stove) which take a long time and as the twigs burn away quickly you have to constantly feed the stove, meaning that you can't get on with doing anything else.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Don't buy one. Just light a proper fire and cook over that instead. They only burn twigs and small fuel (unless you are using a trangia in which case, why bring the honey stove) which take a long time and as the twigs burn away quickly you have to constantly feed the stove, meaning that you can't get on with doing anything else.

That's fine if you're setting up for a while but for a quick fry up and a brew something like the honey is ideal.:)

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Honey is looking good is there any alternatives before the cash is shelled out?

There are some Israeli-made folding stoves about - can't remember the details - but they are much cheaper and do a decent job, I believe. I'm sure someone will know which ones I mean???

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i have a pocket cooker and tbh wouldn't reccomend it.

yes it looks the bussiness but in reality it just isn't practicle. you have to feed it constantly with match thin twigs which is a pain. with the honeystove you can put suprisingly large chunks of wood in it and you can leave it alone. if it was bigger maby it would be a good but the hoveystove isn't that much bigger but it works so much better:confused:

pete

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
I had one of those Israeli jobbies about 3 years ago when they were being much talked about. Fantastic idea on paper, not much use in reality. My thoughts: quite heavy; didn't pack all that flat; small area to put your cook pot on (unstable); the folding mechanism, if you can call it that, (small hinges comprising bent metal rings) was prone to jamming and were very frustrating when trying to fold up a sooty stove for later cleaning; not easy to put even slightly larger fuel into. I ended up throwing it away.

If I use any kind of stove at all now, as opposed to an open fire, I currently use either the early model Honey stove (and I believe the later model is even more versatile) or a home made hobo.

Summary: My favourite is the hobo. It's lighter, no assembly required, cheaper and has no size disadvantage as long as you use a pot which will 'nest' with it, either inside or outside. If however you're not very handy with tools, go for a Honey stove - I don't think you'll regret it.

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
my friend uses a honey stove they are a good bit of kit ,ie if you like to save room in your pack the honey stove is great as it packs away flat., myself iam a bit of a tight bugger and make my own out of bean cans.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE