Tales of Trapping Geese n Pheasant

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BossCat

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2008
Scotland
Browsing this forum I see there's a few members creating fish traps and the like but so far I haven't see anyone telling how to trap large game birds.

So I thought I'd tell you a few tales my dad told me of how he done it when he was a lad. These techniques would probably be classed as pouching? but here goes...

TRAPPING GEESE.
My dad often used to tell me how he and his mates use to come home with bagfulls of geese? Living in Alloa by the river forth he and his mates used to make there way over to Alloa Inch

245194_3fce1332.jpg

during the day with bags full of rice. They would scatter the rice around and then return home and wait till night. Any geese landing on the inch would be presented with a free feed of rice. Once fed they would settle down for the night. All my dad & his mates had to do was return to the inch and pick them up.
How was this done your probably wondering?
Simple. The geese would gorge themself on the rice which would swell up inside them bloting them up making them unable to fly.

Another similar way was to soak a bag of grain over night in Rawgut-(so called if you drank it it would give you a rawgut :) ) -Hootch-Moonshine. this would be scattered around the same way and the team would return in the dead of night to collect the druken geese :D

TRAPPING PHEASANT.

Technique 1.
First of you'll need to know where pheasant roost for the night and there should be a slight breeze blowing. Arm yourself with an old shoepolish full of sulphur.
Now head for the woods and stay downwind of the roosters. Light the sulphur tin and wait?
What your waiting for is the sound of dead birds falling out of the trees due to being poisoned by the sulphur fumes. Send the dog in to find them or try hunting them out yourself.

Technique 2.
Birdlime.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birdlime

The use of birdlime is illegal but here's one way it was used along with a bit of paper/card to trap a pheasant.

Find an area where the pheasants have been feeding. Next dig a small hole in that area and scatter some type of seed/grain around the hole. Now make a small cone with the paper/card and place in the hole you made, making sure that the top rim of your cone is level with the ground. Next place some seed/grain in your cone. The last step is to smear the top rim of the cone with birdlime -(remember this stuffs illegal).

Retreat to your hide and wait for the fun.
What will happen once the birds return to feed. is they'll eat all the free feed you scattered around, then one curious bird will dip its head in your cone to get the seed/grain and hey presto you are now wetting yourself with laughter at a pheasant running around a field wearing a little hat that it cant get off its head. Now go catch that party hatted pheasant.

Note...I dont think this technique would work with Turkeys as they dont like chistmas and refuse to wear hats :D

Technique 3.
This is similar to technique 2 but theres no illegal stuff used.
Find an area where the birds feed and scatter around a good free feed of seed/grain, also scatter in some of your magic seeds/grain?
What are those magic seeds/grain you ask?
Well there seeds/grain that you have prepared before hand. Seeds/grain with a tiny hole in them made with a pin, through which you tie a horses tailhair or you may use very thin fishing line. Make around a dozen.

What happens is the birds feed on your free seed/grain until they eat one of the horsehair seeds then the panic sets in?
The bird will claw at its beak trying to remove the horsehair/fishingline until its exausted. Even after that bird has recovered it will go at it again trying to remove the line.

Well there you have it how to trap big game birds. Im wondering if any other members know of these or any other old time ways of catching big game birds?

Tom

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Interesting methods Bosscat

These methods have long been known as old poachers tricks and as such are generally considered illegal in the UK.
However, from an historical/ interest/ survival situation pov they are worthy of publication - after all they've been published in various books etc in the past!

Please though, be aware of the legality and treat the methods accordingly.

Thanks for reminding me - I must dig out those old books again Bosscat!

Cheers

Mark

BossCat

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2008
Scotland
Here's on I forgot about

TRAPPING DUCK.
I dont know how old this method is but I have used it myself once or twice.

To trap a duck (on a pond) you'll need -
A stick/post about 2ft. One end a shrape point the other end flat.(you could sharpen one end of a 2in X 2in)
A large flat heavyish rock. (House brick would do).
A 2ft length of fishing line with treble hook attached. (this needs to be tied to a rock so you may need a longer piece?)
A piece of polystyrene cup or something similar that floats.
A piece of bread.

METHOD.
Dig your sharpened stick/post into the soil under the water until none of it is showing. The flat top of your stick needs to be about 6 to 10in under the water.
Next tie your fishing line to the large rock and balance the rock ontop of your stick/post.
Next bait up the treble hook with a crust of bread and a small piece of the polystyrene cup -( the piece of polystyrene cup is used to keep the bread & hook afloat).
Now place a marker of some type on the shore so you'll know where you set the trap?

You can leave this set overnight or return in a few hours to check?

What will happen is the duck will paddle along and see the bread. When the duck takes the bread it'll be hooked? As it trys to get away the duck will pull the heavy rock off the top of the stick and be pulled under and drown.

All you need do to check your trap is find your marker and feel under the water for your stick/post. If the aint any rock there then you've got something.

Tom

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
If the aint any rock there then you've got something.

Tom

See my only problem with this kind of method is this. Its indescriminate you can kill a lot of other things that you don't intend to.

I do like the sticky cup though, and the rice and moonshine can also be done with rasins which could theoretically work even better.:D

BossCat

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2008
Scotland
See my only problem with this kind of method is this. Its indescriminate you can kill a lot of other things that you don't intend to.

If you think on it this could be said for any type of trap, be it fish or game?

A man casts a rod into a river hoping to catch a nice trout, his line twitches, he reels in to find he's caught a slimey eel.

Tom

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
If you think on it this could be said for any type of trap, be it fish or game?

A man casts a rod into a river hoping to catch a nice trout, his line twitches, he reels in to find he's caught a slimey eel.

Tom

I was only saying that I dislike the type of trap that kills the prey before you get to it. With that particular type of trap whatever you catch has been killed before you can decide if you want to eat it or not.

If you were using a rod and line you can mostly return what you don't want without unnecessary injury.

Personally I prefer humane traps where possible.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
set up a load of snares made from picture wire. set them up along the pig netting used for most farm fences so ever other hole has one covering it. Push through the wood/pen the pheasants run thought the holes in the fence and head first into the snares. pic up at lesuire. Obviously this type of activity is in one way condoned and doing so will constitute a criminal offence

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE