talc pendant with inlaid quartz crystal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
inlaidcrystaltalcpendant1.jpg

inlaidcrystaltalcpendant2.jpg

i found a small piece of talc recently and decided to grind it on sandstone into a pendant. i used a quartz crystal-tipped hand drill to make the hole, and a bone needle to inlay the tiny crystal. deer hide glue secures the crystal. i rubbed bear fat onto the stone so that it would keep the green color--talc is an off-white color around here. this pendant took about two hours to make.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
nice work storm not so sure i would have imlade the christal quite like the talc on its own. Can you tell us more about the talc never seen it before?

James

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Thats anice piece of work Storm. I've been pondering ideas for a really nice bearing block for fire drills and now you go and throw soapstone into the melting pot! Would the stuff be hard enough to take the wear?

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
longstrider funny you should say that I’ve been after a piece of soap stone for exactly that purpose for some time but the only place I know where it is found in the uk is on one of the Orkney islands near skara brea (sp) and that’s a protected ancient site. Any one know where I can get some in the uk ?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Have a look for Port Soy marble; it's soft and carveable with a pocket knife. The main quarry, no longer in use, is at the shore at Port Soy in Banffshire but it's just the end of a vein of serpentine that stretches across country. It's not easily accessible elsewhere. (well, I believe an inland farm has some but really doesn't want to be bothered)
I know there's serpentine elsewhere in the UK too, places like Unst, but maybe more accessible sites on the mainland; surely there's a Geologist amongst us somewhere?

Cheers,
Toddy

here's a couple more i made yesterday:
talcpendants.jpg

talc can be formed via igneous or metamorphic processes. it's primarily derived from the metamorphasis of magnesium silicates. around here, we have mostly metamorphic rocks. talc is uncommonly found in pure enough or large enough pieces to be workable around here. it is interbedded in the schists and actonilite locally (as is asbestos). soapstone and steatite are forms of talc.

for bearing blocks, most talc won't stand up to the usage. this stuff certainly wouldn't...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE