taking the plunge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
on cold dark nights I have trouble committing to a camp.

I have the option to go tonight and straight back to work in the morning but I could also go home and have a good sleep in a comfy bed - also getting over the tail end of a cold.

Anyone else have trouble jumping in the deep end when theres no commitment i.e. no money spent on campsite, no one whos camping plans would be ruined by my not showing up.

Nic Le Becheur

Forager
Sep 10, 2015
Ludlow
For me, the commitment is to myself, and I hate to be disappointed by me. Neither do I want to get soft in my old age. Get out there and do what you promised - besides, there's always rum :)

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
So I took the plunge and am currently in my hammock in the woods . You may notice its 2.40 and I'm awake.

After 4 hrs of peaceful shut eye someone had started beeping a horn every 30 secs to a minute. Followed by engine revving. Sounds like road works but I'm pretty far from roads. Could be railway works I guess. Either way its pretty annoying.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Ah the Martian kidnap saucers are making those noises again. ;)
Hope the noises don't bother you too much. As long as it doesn't make you tired for work its nice to be out and awake in the night. Things to see (ish), smell and hear that so many city dwellers never get a chance to observe.
Hope you have a good time.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
So I took the plunge and am currently in my hammock in the woods . You may notice its 2.40 and I'm awake.

After 4 hrs of peaceful shut eye someone had started beeping a horn every 30 secs to a minute. Followed by engine revving. Sounds like road works but I'm pretty far from roads. Could be railway works I guess. Either way its pretty annoying.

Always a good idea to carry some foam ear plugs when sleeping out. I find its the noise of the wind that keeps me up the most.

Tonyuk

Idleknight

Forager
Aug 14, 2013
United Kingdom, Near Hinckley
Hello,

I'm the same, have a bag packed and ready to go, all I need to do is refresh the water in the bottles. However when I get home from work I am often shattered. However I just have to keep reminding myself that while my body might be telling me to chill out at home, I will be a lot more refreshed by actually getting out. One of my motivational tools now is I have printed out and have the microadventures calendar on my wall. So I try and get out each month.
http://www.alastairhumphreys.com/microadventures-3/year-microadventure-2/

Other tip is to make sure everything else is planned and prepped, then all you have to do is get out the door. But I am the same if I pay for something I have to be there as I hate wasting money.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE