taking scratches out of the blade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xander

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2011
bedford england
hi as some of you know im making a EnZo knife kit and today i got it engraved
after i noticed that i must have lightly scratched the blade by the handle when i was sanding it down is there any way i can get rid of these scratches ?

also on another note is there a way i can make the engraving stand out more ?
110.jpg

thanks for your help

xan

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Hate to say but with it being bead blasted i dont tnink so.

Hope someone will correct me if im wrong

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Nice knife dude, I would say that without stripping of the scales and redoing the beading you wont be able to remove the scratches and maintain the current finish, you could sand out the beading though?

Only an opinion though matey pie!

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Something very roughly similar happened to a mate of mine with a sandblasted Harry Boden D2 Bowie recently.

This was my solution, which may be adaptable to your circumstances:

1. Take one baked bean can (remove beans first :rolleyes:) wash the inside out and then dry the can.

2. Using files or similar you need to make a slot in the bottom end of the can that your knife can easily pass through without causing more scratching.

3. Mask off the front of the handle material with a couple of layers of tape

4. Place knife in can with blade protruding from the end through the slot you made, and use any suitable padding and more tape to fix it in place

At this point my mate handed the whole shooting match to another of our friends who happened to have a sand/bead blasting cabinet for small engineering.

He gave the whole blade a quick going over which doesn’t completely get rid of the scratches unless he really went to town, but it does reduce and ‘blend’ them to the point where they aren’t at all obvioius.

The tape and can simply acts as a barrier to protect the handle from the crap that gets thrown around in the blasting cabinet.

I know, I need to get out more...

:D

Worked though, which is what counts.

To make the engraving stand out a little you could use an ultra-fine CD marker to fill the lettering in. If your eyes are anything like mine a jewellers loupe or magnifying glass may come in handy...

T1Viper

Nomad
Sep 24, 2010
Ayrshire
I had the same problem.

I have since learned that you should shape and sand the front of the scales before you epoxy them on. I'd be interested if theres a solution that doesnt require bead blasting.

i did try to avoid photographing it as it REALLY annoyed me but this is the best pic i have of the scratches,
DSCF7565.jpg

jollo74

Aug 9, 2010
Germany
Hi Xan,
Are you going to use this knife or is it destined for the drawer/cabinet?

Because if you are going to use it these won't be the last scratches ;):D. I know how you feel and also hated the first scratches in my shiny new Grohmann's Boat Knife. But now I'm over it and use it and have never looked back :D.

P.S. I don't think the polishing will help. You need to increase the contast of the letters. Maybe by using coffee or vinegar to create a patina on the letters and then polish the side of the blade (leaving the patina in the lower set letters)? This would of course only work if it's a non-stainless steel (e.g. O1) and maybe won't work at all :rolleyes: as I've never tried it. It would be at your own risk ;).
Cheers
Jörg

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
I had the same problem.

I have since learned that you should shape and sand the front of the scales before you epoxy them on. I'd be interested if theres a solution that doesnt require bead blasting.

i did try to avoid photographing it as it REALLY annoyed me but this is the best pic i have of the scratches,
DSCF7565.jpg
if these scratches really bother you that much, get you self some micro mesh, and go through the various grits, and you will have a new and shiny blade.
hope that helps i used to be exactly the same, but you will spend more time admiring, cleaning and faffing than you will using, I'm not saying dont take care of your blade, oil it buff out any deep scratches, but to keep it at a mirror finish in the end, just turns into a pain imho.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Micromesh is fantastic stuff, by the looks of it those scratches aren't too deep and micromesh will sort it out in no time. Just make sure not to press to hard or overheat the stuff and it will last you practically forever compared to sandpaper.

T1Viper

Nomad
Sep 24, 2010
Ayrshire
I'll get some in a couple of weeks and give it a go ! i'm gonna give the micromesh a shot on the next handle i make as well from the write ups on axminster it gives a lovely finish.

xander

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2011
bedford england
cool thanks guys the knife is going to be a user but would like to have had perfect to start with lol
hmmm i think ill have to try that trick with the coffee do you meen to make a past with it ?

jollo74

Aug 9, 2010
Germany
Hi Xander,
In order to create a patina with coffee you just brew a really strong cup (instant coffee works best) and apply that. Make sure you have removed all oil/fat from the part you want to stain e.g. with acetone).

Good luck:D
Jörg

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Sorry for the thread hijack, but I've never seen micromesh before - can it be used like wet and dry for sharpening?

Yep! It's basically an abrasive stuck to a thin cloth backing with silicone so it may round the edge slightly and would probably be better suited to convex ground knives but i'm sure with a nice hard flat surface it would work just as well on scandi grinds.
You can use it wet or dry - I know some people wash theirs with water after a while to freshen it up again.

EDIT: Make sure you use it in a stropping motion as you may cut in to it if you aren't being careful - this is why it is better suited to convex grinds

Last edited:

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Hi Lee,

I just googled micro mesh, is this the stuff http://www.axminster.co.uk/micro-mesh-soft-touch-pad-abrasives-prod804806/?src=froogle

The knife was made to be a user, i just wondered if there was any way to fix my mistake.

Its not like anyones notice it when its clad in one of your lovely leather jackets!!
hi mate, there is a member on here and bb who i get my micromesh from very reasonable, and great service to, look for jeddiah, and he will sort you out, if you can't find him on here look on bb, as for your knife handle, it gives an amazing finish, i use it on all the wood i use, for all my projects from fire steel handles to knife handles, i don't no how i ever got on with out it, and as for sharpning your knives with its fantastic, when it gets a little clogged just rinse under the tap, and it breathes some new life back into it, if you have scratches on you watch face, it will aradicate them to, as the grit sizes go down to vertually nothing, amazing stuff.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE