Tactical/Assault vest and a rucksack.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Murlock

May 28, 2010
Rushden,Northants
Hi All :)

Ill be going out for a few one/two nighters in the next month or so and ive been wondering if there is an assault vest that can be used with a smallish backpack?

Currently i only have a 60+10 litre rucksack and im looking for a smaller pack/vest combo that wont cost me an arm and a leg. the South african assault vest looks ok if i dont use the large rear pouch. but im not sure if it will foul the straps on a rucksack of 25-35 lt.

Any help peeps?

Thx in advance for the replies gang

ATB

Murlock.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
I've had a couple of SAAV's when in the cadets and it quickly became apparant that they are quite frankly, crap! This was 9 years ago, though, so I don't know if they have improved the construction of the vest since. They do hold a lot of kit, though. Horrible velcro, horrible thin straps and even worse is the poorly constructed strap padding which quickly torn out.

Murlock

May 28, 2010
Rushden,Northants
thanks for the advice Lub0, thats the reason why i joined here :). Plenty of good people willing to help others.

been looking at one of these today. still cheap so im not sure of the quality....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Heavy-Duty-Bl...Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item334a1f5ef1

pouches seem to be slung quite low on the body so may give a bit more room for rucksack straps.

Anyone else here got experience with viper tactical stuff???

Murlock

May 28, 2010
Rushden,Northants
i kinda want a modular layout to my kit so i can just add/take away items depending on how long im out for. Day hikes/Overnighters/ 2/3/5/7 days from what i see its kinda a case of different sized packs for different needs... thats an awful lot of rucksacks im thinking more of a vest/waistbag/small daypak/began sort of thing more modular and flexible to save packing/repacking into different places.

It will probably lend itself to helping me find what i need quicker as it should always be in the same place :)

Dont know if that makes a massive amount of sense but i hope it answers your question... I guess its the born organiser in me :p

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
Most SADF M83 vests on the market at the moment are made by Viper, they have a reputation for being rubbish and are aimed at the airsoft set.
Original M83s command high prices when ever they come up for sale on ebay. The Aussie company "The Kit Bag" make their own version minus the little
rucksack bit on the back, http://www.kitbag.com.au/category37_1.htm , it's well pricey though.
Happy trails...torc.

Addendum: I just found this, http://camocorp.co.za/catalog/default.php?cPath=112 . The site looks pretty kosher but don't take my word for it.

Last edited:

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
(for that alt. combination)

When not requiring the full load of the highlander, I use my 3 day assault pack and my snugpak response for those things needed quickly to hand (ID books, snacks etc)

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
Got one of the Viper assault vest copies, the quality is not really up to any serious use or abuse so personally I would steer you away from them. Don't want to pee on your bonfirs but they just wouldn't take the use that you will need them too. I have had some genuine South African army gear in the past and that was simply amazing! it was very simple and incredibly hard wearing too, if you can get hold of the originals then you will probably find that will do you nicely!

hope that helps a little

Raw01

Mar 30, 2010
Jhb South Africa
If you guys want some SADF M83 "Battle Jackets" maybe we can do a trade as im looking for some brit gear for my collection.
I have access to a few, let me no.
Ive ordered gear from the UK in the past but the shipping to South Africa is crazy.
I will post some pics of the 2 i have at home later.

Front view

DSC09838.jpg

Rear view

DSC09835.jpg

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have a webtex vest and it has female clips like fit on the yoke for rocket packs.

I suppose you could adapt a daysack to clip on but I doubt you would have much load bearing capacity.

However it would be mostly on your front...

Murlock

May 28, 2010
Rushden,Northants
Just bought a Molle Desert cam genuine NSN vest and 13 pouches from ebay. nicely priced at £32 delivered.

Its desert cam but what the heck. At that price for high quality kit it will do nicely :)

Thanks to all that have commented :) im glad that im not the only one that likes that modular layout :) though i was going mad there for a bit :p

i guess it will take a while to find out what goes where kit wise but im looking forward to it.. i do love a challenge LOL

Murlock

May 28, 2010
Rushden,Northants
WOW!!
if you can make em custom for me how much would it cost for a pair in the snugpak rocket pak size of 15lt?
That really would be christmas early for me.
As far as im aware they are compatible with all PLCE yokes/vests etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE