T.R. 2 weeks hammocking in the Arctic winter; Jokkmokk, Abisko. -6c to -40c.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Is that because the handle froze? I use vegetable oil, which doesn't set but when it's cold it turns into something like a wax. I've also been favoring the saw in colder weather. I've been having trouble with axes. Aside from chipping, when you warm them up enough to function, they start accumulating ice on the head, which is a nightmare to remove. That's not even in extreme cold. In my area it almost never gets below -20C. I'm sure there are some tricks to use them under such conditions, but I haven't found them.

It collected frost but also became slippy as hell, even with the frost taken off.

I've been advised to wrap it in tennis racket or bike handlebar tape. I'd like to see what Lemon oil is like at low temps, its fantastic for tool handles at normal temps.

As for ice build up, I reckon your not swinging it hard enough :p:)

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
It collected frost but also became slippy as hell, even with the frost taken off.

I've been advised to wrap it in tennis racket or bike handlebar tape.....

It'd never occurred to me that the oil on a tool handle would affected by the cold but I suppose it makes perfect sense that it would.

I suppose you could wrap the handle in pretty much anything like handlebar tape or similar if it's a cold weather specific axe, it's not like you're going to be using it with your bare hands at any point.

Really interesting :)

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I presume rubber like inner tubes gets too brittle to use at those temps? I was thinking they might help with the firelighting too as a combination jobbie but it sounds like all the usual 'rules' are broken in those temperature extremes. It must be hard to predict and analyse what is likely to perform and not :)

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
It'd never occurred to me that the oil on a tool handle would affected by the cold but I suppose it makes perfect sense that it would.

I suppose you could wrap the handle in pretty much anything like handlebar tape or similar if it's a cold weather specific axe, it's not like you're going to be using it with your bare hands at any point.

Really interesting :)

It was actually OK to handle at down to -10c with bare hands ( This is my cut off point for having to wear liner gloves). After that, the thermal mass of the wood sucked the heat from my hands very quickly. At -20 and lower, more hand insulation needed.
Having an insulated and grippy handle really makes sense.

I presume rubber like inner tubes gets too brittle to use at those temps? I was thinking they might help with the firelighting too as a combination jobbie but it sounds like all the usual 'rules' are broken in those temperature extremes. It must be hard to predict and analyse what is likely to perform and not :)

Inner tube rubber is Butyl and lots of it loses its stretch. ( some didn't, some did). Like the shock cord on my underquilts at -18c or lower, they lose their stretch and the UQ drops.

My cheap Rolson bungee cords perfromed best- a mixture of white latex and black butyl. Oddly enough, another bungee cord with seemingly identical elastic lost all of its stretch :confused: I'd hoped to get to the bottom of this but its left me with more questions. Trying to find solid info is difficult.

I took some Silcone core bungee cord out there to test (MSR tent bungee) and it kept all of its elasticity-Winter UQ suspension will now be swapped for it. :)

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Somewhere between now and spring next year to be precise ;)

Estonia's first then I'll start to get some dates sorted I think.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Fantastic write-up! Really enjoyed it. Looks like you did REALLY well. One great adventure.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
2013-02-07_IMGP6103_zpsaedb9d1d.jpg

Carol said to tell you you've got your coat on wonky Pete

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Pete, I gotta say pal that is an epic write up mate!! Even mrs Jacko enjoyed it!!

I don't no what you were worried about mate!!

Last edited:

Scopey

Forager
Apr 26, 2012
Brandon,Suffolk
Epic thread - so much useful information and some truly inspirational pics! My wife has been on a dog sled expedition to Northern Sweden and is very keen to get back there, seriously considering Norway or Sweden trip next year!

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Awesome write up Pete was great to hear the tales and what worked and didn't the other week and what was in the report :)

Thanks Pete :) Ditto, love chatting about kit.

Pete, I gotta say pal that is an epic write up mate!! Even mrs Jacko enjoyed it!!

I don't no what you were worried about mate!!

Thanks buddy:) Now she seen how much fun it is, you need to get booked on that Arctic course ;)

Epic thread - so much useful information and some truly inspirational pics! My wife has been on a dog sled expedition to Northern Sweden and is very keen to get back there, seriously considering Norway or Sweden trip next year!

Thanks Scopey:)

There were dog and Skidoo trails everywhere. I nearly rented a pair of dogs to help pull the boggan.

Dog sledding companies everwhere around there, there's even one as you step out the airport at Kiruna. :cool:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Utterly brilliant. Many, many thanks for your write up - it is truly inspirational. I am deeply envious of your trip but, now that I've read your excellent articles, I realise that it is possible with careful planning.

Superb!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE