Syrian Refugee Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Us with all our self sufficiency skills should be able to sustain ourselves in any situation given limited resources. Having seen the Syrian refugee crisis with the winter weather and the number of people involved, what would you do, given that there are hundreds of millions of pounds on offer to deal with the crisis ?

I would for starters ship them millions of planks and boards from Canada, the USA and Scandinavia to build huts with, but I couldn't tell you what design.

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
yep. when im freezing and starving a big pile of boards is gonna be just what the doctor ordered! i would carve a spoon with one.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Same as any other situation; shelter, water, food, medical help if required, and then back home as quickly as possible.

I am becoming old and cynical....the tide of refugees only stops when they go home. If they don't go home then a kind of refugee-itis sets in, and what was given as a charitable and humanitarian assistance becomes a necessity that's never enough. Very quickly people create families, they talk to their children and somehow in the telling the story becomes a 'cause', and the young who are locked into the refugee situation become frustrated, and angry, and then comes terrorism, and more disputes, and more and more refugees struggling :sigh:

Honestly ? Give them succour, and reliable birth control, and get them back home asap.

Probably not the reply expected :dunno:

Don't set up permanent housing, don't set up permanent anything, short term shelter and aid, and then back on their own feet and home. It's their country, not one single example of interference since the end of WW2 has actually led to a permanent peace. It has to come from the people themselves.

The only other way is for those who have fled to be totally integrated into other countries with all the rights of citizenship and belonging. Don't see anyone offering to take in hundreds of thousands, do you ?

Definitely political, and I can't see any way of answering the question that doesn't need a political element to the decisions made.

M

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I agree, although the idea of the OP was to ask what people would do far too political for here so thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE