Synthetic rubber coating

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quinlan

May 30, 2017
Haywards Heath
I've discovered the synthetic rubber coating sprays and they appear to be very promising for waterproofing pretty much anything you need to. I am wondering if there is a reason why in all videos I've found, the coating is applied on the external surface of the material. It would make much more sense to me to turn the bag inside out and spray it from the inside. It looks to me that in this way you achieve the result of waterproofing without altering the look of the bag in question. In addition, there is another advantage in the presence of the bag's fabric as an extra layer of protection for the rubber coating from scratching, cutting, etc. It may very well be that my reasoning is flawed due to inexperience in these matters.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
If the aim is to protect the rubber, spray on inside, if the aim is for the spray to protect the fabric, makes more sense to spray on the outside.

Which sprays have you been looking at in particular?

Quinlan

May 30, 2017
Haywards Heath
If the aim is to protect the rubber, spray on inside, if the aim is for the spray to protect the fabric, makes more sense to spray on the outside.

Which sprays have you been looking at in particular?

Plasti Dip and Flex Seal are the ones I have found so far. They both appear to use the same technology, just different brands.

My aim is to waterproof the contents of rucksack, pouches. I would say I want to protect the rubber because it will keep the contents dry. Protecting the fabric is of no concern to me, other than its appearance. Whether canvas or cordura, I don't mind getting it wet and/or subjected to any kind of stress. How it looks after application of these sprays is a concern, hence my idea to apply it from the inside.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Had a fabulous poncho raincoat, waterproofed but good on the inside.
Well, we got wet then snowed on higher up. Eventually stopped to find the dang poncho frozen to my wool jacket.
Guess I had worked up a bit of a sweat in the climb. (mountain fishing trip.)
The frozen water in the wetted fabric squeezed the waterproof coating off the inside surface.
Pieces the size of my hand.

Not sure what to suggest. Hiking, I'd buy one or more dry bags for my supplies.
Some kind of a simple waterproof cover for the entire pack?

Quinlan

May 30, 2017
Haywards Heath
Had a fabulous poncho raincoat, waterproofed but good on the inside.
Well, we got wet then snowed on higher up. Eventually stopped to find the dang poncho frozen to my wool jacket.
Guess I had worked up a bit of a sweat in the climb. (mountain fishing trip.)
The frozen water in the wetted fabric squeezed the waterproof coating off the inside surface.
Pieces the size of my hand.

Not sure what to suggest. Hiking, I'd buy one or more dry bags for my supplies.
Some kind of a simple waterproof cover for the entire pack?

This is exactly why I joined this forum. I wouldn't have thought of heat/cold tolerance as a factor. Dry bags I will get definitely. I was thinking of these sprays as an extra layer of security, but perhaps it isn't really necessary and one could rely on dry bags alone? I wasn't going to use them on cloth anyway, but after reading what happened to you, there is no way I am messing with cloth material. From now on it is either waterproof on their own or not.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Well, you got my opinion. I can't imagine what else had gone wrong.
Cold and dry, no problem (of course, beineg waterproof, it was also wind proof, too.)
Frozen, that poncho was really, really stuck to my jacket/coat.
I don't think it was any colder than maybe -5C, certainly not -10C.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
For what you are doing, I would not bother spraying rubber inside the bags in an attempt to keep contents dry. I am fairly certain that it will not work. The commercially applied urethane coating on Cordura does not keep contents dry in anything more than passing drizzle. Light weight roll top dry bags, Loksak, ziploks, and silnylon stuff sacks, in that order, will do the job, can be mixed and matched and replaced as needed.

Quinlan

May 30, 2017
Haywards Heath
For what you are doing, I would not bother spraying rubber inside the bags in an attempt to keep contents dry. I am fairly certain that it will not work. The commercially applied urethane coating on Cordura does not keep contents dry in anything more than passing drizzle. Light weight roll top dry bags, Loksak, ziploks, and silnylon stuff sacks, in that order, will do the job, can be mixed and matched and replaced as needed.

Got it, thanks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE