Synthetic bags - brands

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
Wich synthetic sleeping bag maker do you recommend? My (very) old generation Ajungilak bags are showing age. Todays Ajungilak bags are not an option, even Nanok mil line seems to be out of market.
No price limit. -5 to -10C (but probably need more than one bag). Thx.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Mountain Hardware has a very good reputation, and are known for their synthetic bags, which tend to pack down relatively small.

Ajungilak is now part of Mammut, who still make both down and synthetic bags. There are one or two online manufacturers who make synthetic bags, and Haglofs Berghaus etc do make bags with synthetic fill, although less likely to be winter ones. And there are US brands which can occasionally be found here, like TNF, Thermarest, Marmot, etc.

But I have to ask why synthetic? Pretty much all decent down bags have DWR coatings, and many have hydrophobic down as well. As long as you treat a down bag well, there shouldnt be a particular problem - use a dry bag, air out, etc. The prices are not much different for a 3 to 4 season bag between a good synthetic and a decent down bag, especially if you buy on deal (I notice Tundra has 20% off on some bags), but you get a much lighter bag which packs down much smaller. There is a reason why when you look for 3 or 4 season bags (and minus 11 is 4 season, whilst minus 5 is nearer 3 season) from well known manufacturers, the bulk of them are down. And thats not just Rab or Mountain Equipment here in the UK, but Mammut and Mountain Hardware as well.

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
Thanks for your answers. I am not a fan of Fjallraven but Mountain Hardwear is worth a look. And a down bag never was an option for me. Not a mountaineer, and synthetic is imho more reliable in rainy weeks without a chance to dry the bag. Just my experience, down is not for me.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Have a look at the Snugpak Special Forces Sleep system and bivvy bag.

That's the best for hiking and bushcraft in northern and central Europe in my opinion.

In the summer the combination of bivvy bag 340g and SF1 1030 g is very light and compact. The SF1 in the bivvy fit well in the Ortlieb 7 litres dry bag.
That combination works well for me until 5*C or even 0*C.

For temperatures around 0*C I use the SF2 with the bivvy bag.

If it becomes really cold you can use the combination of all 3 parts and the adapter up to -15 *C or even -20*C (with merino base layers).

The sleeping bags are made in Britain with a swiss filling.

The green ones are far cheaper than the camouflage versions!

Here are a few videos at the lower area of the page where you can see some different modern army sleep systems:

https://bushcraftuk.com/community/i...l-way-of-bushcraft-and-survival.153904/page-3

Last edited:

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
After another recommendation, I've opted for a Snugpak...in this case a Softie 15 extra long...………?

(Review now on site in Review sect.)

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The Snugpak Special Forces sleeping bag System is the better option in my opinion because it is constructed with the perfectly fitting very light bivvy bag and over all it is a very well working very universal idea and made in Britain on top!

I use it since a couple of years very very often and I am fully convinced about it.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
May well be the case, but packs up bigger and heavier, and doesn't come as an extra long., so I didn't feel it was the ideal choice for my circumstances?
I don't know whether the expander panel can be used with this?

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The Special Forces system exists in a large version and an extra large version too.

The adapter works as an expander if needed but the bags are relatively wide.
The cut counts with an athletic professional soldier in winter clothing including boots inside the sleeping bags, so most people should fit in those bags...
;)

I am 185 cm tall and the normal size is roomy enough for me and very comfortable.

In cold conditions I usually sleep in my clothing of the day and I can use the SF1 until 0*C, but I recommend it to other persons until 5*C in long (200) merino underwear.

Living in eastern Germany and usually working outdoors every day I am used to really cold conditions and my body is trained for that. Most people I know need 5 degrees Celsius more insulation in the same circumstances.

The SF2 I don't use so often. It's large in the packing size. I stored it usually on top of my 65 liters rucksack but I decided to dig out my 90 litres rucksack when I reach Berlin next time, to store the whole system and the rest of my winter equipment. The complete System is usable in polish winter conditions.
In summer times I usually use just a 35 litres rucksack including SF1, it's bivvy bag, a light Defcon 5 poncho as tarp and a very light and compact 3 seasons equipment.

I can't recommend clothing and sleeping bags for Britain, because I visited England only once as a child, decades ago. I have no Idea about your conditions. I was told your weather is pretty much identic with German conditions, but I guess you have more wind and rain.

Reactions: Laurence Milton

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
You're about right re weather!
I used to work wholly outdoors irrespective of the weather, but now I'm an old git!!
Very pleased so far with the Softie (I couldn't find anything on Snugpaks ads. that said the SFS was available extra long, or with the expander panel, that's good!) so far, with the occasional use it's going to get, if ever we are allowed out again!

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I think both options are pretty similar in winter times. Identic materials stiched together by the same people.

The Softy 15 Dicovery is lighter than the SF complete System which is easier to dry and which allowes a better heat regulation, because you can open just the outer bag.

I use my sleeping bags most times in warm weather or around 0*C.
But I have the option to connect both for temperatures around - 15 / -20 *C.
So the SF System fits perfectly to my needs. I never connect my sleeping bag with another person and prefere sleeping under a poncho in a bivvy bag over the tent collection I own, even with my options with Luxe Outdoor Silhexpeak V4a and Hilleberg Nallo 2.
In Germany we can sleep legaly without landowners permission (!) in a bivvy bag in nearly every wood but tents theoreticly aren't allowed in our forests (even if you own the forest).

And yes, tents usually are relatively heavy compared to a 350g Snugpak Special Forces bivvy bag and a 350g Defcon 5 poncho. I am mainly a stealth camping hiker instead of a camp living bushcrafter.
At -15*C I usually don't go for hiking tours. Usually I have a lot of work in winter times.

If you click on the size guide you can see both SF System sizes.
Max user hight 235 cm in size XXL !!!
:oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: Laurence Milton

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE