Sycamore Shrink Pot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
From log to pot in three days.

Started off with a chunk of gnarly old sycamore and nearly gave up with it it was that bad, twisted grain, knots and even though it was fresh cut, it was as hard as nails, brute force over ignorance saw that sorted though ;-)

20180306_142630 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

Got the pot made and dried out, the base plate is not the best of fits that ive ever done, but it works and its being gripped by the pot walls, it will be fine for dry goods, gave the entire pot a faceted finish and then painted with chalk paint, which is now drying overnight before it gets a couple of coats of wax finish to seal and protect it, i might distress it now, there again i might just leave it and let time and use do the job for me

The lid is made form an old wooden place mat and the handle/finial/knop whatever you want to call it is a piece of cherry from the waste bin, the lid will get oiled tomorrow which will turn it a nice dark brown that will offset the light colour of the paint.

20180309_165342 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Made my day, sir. The inside must have been a real grunt. Thanks for the effort.

The outside. That's what would be called a "textured" surface in Pacific Northwest native style carvings.
One of my favorite finishes are it has been applied to many of your spoons.

I use a #5 crooked knife. Many use a small elbow or D adze. Kestrel makes a texturing adze.
I won't ever buy one since my striking accuracy isn't good enough and never will be.

Sometimes, the shallow texturing has a pattern, somewhat similar to decorative brick works.
I'm not at all sure yet but I think the different carving styles on the coast have different traditional patterns.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Another new skill you are showcasing! And another thing for me to think "I must have a go at that one day".
I've seen some videos of people making shrink pots, but yours is a class above.

Reactions: Kepis
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
With all that tool work you do, you must have hands as rough an tough as the butt skin of a boar!
Ps epic coffee caddy well that's what I would do with it!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Wow! You'll be making drums soon I reckon, that looks perfect.

Lovely, I've never seen one made in green wood, let alone Sycamore that I never consider to have a tight grain and is prone to splitting. Hope you're good to get to Wests Wood Fair, your circumstances permitting.

My sister gave me a lovely Chestnut pot a few years ago, but made from aged and weathered wood, it must have been a real task to get that internal wood out.

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

Doesn't hold anything much, it's all splits and character, but wood pots are fascinating things.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
With all that tool work you do, you must have hands as rough an tough as the butt skin of a boar!
Ps epic coffee caddy well that's what I would do with it!

You would think so, but just over a year ago i couldn't even lift a cup of tea and had no dexterity at all, making things like these is helping me regain my strength, i shall get there though.

Think this might get used for tea bags as the base is not the best of fits, still gives me an excuse to make another, better one.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Wow! You'll be making drums soon I reckon, that looks perfect.

Lovely, I've never seen one made in green wood, let alone Sycamore that I never consider to have a tight grain and is prone to splitting. Hope you're good to get to Wests Wood Fair, your circumstances permitting.

My sister gave me a lovely Chestnut pot a few years ago, but made from aged and weathered wood, it must have been a real task to get that internal wood out.

IMG_0770.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

Doesn't hold anything much, it's all splits and character, but wood pots are fascinating things.

Aye, Sycamore is a bit of a challenge as like you say its prone to split, my favorite wood to make them from has to be Beech.

That pot of yours is amazing, wonder if they used a forstner bit to hollow it out?

Hoping to get to Wests this year, certainly working hard at getting fit enough to be there, just need the warmer weather and a bit of sunshine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE