Sycamore Sap

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
As regards Sap do I take as soon as the green shoots appear on the branches that the sap is rising. whilst out with my dogs yesterday I came across a Sycamore and said tree was in bud. I made a small incision about 4ft up form the base and waited but to no avail. what did I do wrong or is it the wrong time?

Andy

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
As regards Sap do I take as soon as the green shoots appear on the branches that the sap is rising. whilst out with my dogs yesterday I came across a Sycamore and said tree was in bud. I made a small incision about 4ft up form the base and waited but to no avail. what did I do wrong or is it the wrong time?

Andy

Too early me thinks. Do it at bud-break.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
cheers LBL its been a lovely day today feels like a spring day glad I work form home on days like this. It certainly does the mind and soul some good to be out and about in the fields and woods. I will indeed wait for the buds to break.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have found in the past that sycamore has a greater flow than birch - but even less flavour!
Not woth the effort IMHO

I have never found a sycamore in flow, I have tried. I have a sycamore on my allotment, I'll keep trying. Doesn't the sap have to be reduced to get any flavour?

I licked the roof of car when I was a kid that had being parked under maple. I didn't lick the whole roof I was too short. Aphid infested trees are nice to lick aswell.

T1tch

Forager
Dec 24, 2007
Cambridgeshire
I licked the roof of car when I was a kid that had being parked under maple.
I assume you knew the owner? If not it might have been an intersting conversation if you'd been caught :p

Wonder if the excuse "I was just washing it for you" would have worked...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE