Sycamore Sap?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JohnL

Forager
Nov 20, 2007
West Sussex
Hi,
I have heard you can collect the sap of sycamore like you can with birch & Maple. Is this correct, & if it is how can it be used?:confused:

Another thing I was wondering about was reeds. Apparently the common Reed & the Giant Reedmace(aka bullrush) are source of a very sweet suguary substance that can be eaten. Does anyone know how you collect it, & also if you can just eat any of the bits of reed without much preperation, as I often cant be bothered with projects that take more than fifteen minutes.:eek:

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
You certainly can, and it can be used just like birch sap. I'm collecting bits at the moment to gather some to try a wine recipe I've found.

I've also read somewhere about reed gum. I think you fold the stem over and it collects under the fold. Not sure of the species though, so couldn't really say for sure.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
As far as I know, the sycamore is related to the maple somehow. Take a look at the leaves and it looks like a reasonable assumption. You won't get as much sap as out of a maple, but you will get some. You can boil it down to a syrup, but it would be worth collecting a lot to do that because you have to reduce it a massive amount.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I take it the same rules apply as for Birch tapping, i.e. waiting until the buds appear before tapping the tree?

perpetualelevator

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Another thing I was wondering about was reeds. Apparently the common Reed & the Giant Reedmace(aka bullrush) are source of a very sweet suguary substance that can be eaten. Does anyone know how you collect it, & also if you can just eat any of the bits of reed without much preperation, as I often cant be bothered with projects that take more than fifteen minutes.:eek:

I think you can eat a lot of parts of our cattails in Canada, but I don't know if it's the same thing as a bullrush. I always thought they were, but I could be wrong. You can use the pollen as a flour substitute, that I think is also quite sweet, being pollen. I think the roots are edible as well, similar to a potato or taro. I'll see if I can find the site.

Edit: Sorry, apparently they're not the same thing, but it might still be worth a try.
http://www.primitiveways.com/cattail_pollen_pancakes.html

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hi,
I have heard you can collect the sap of sycamore like you can with birch & Maple. Is this correct, & if it is how can it be used?:confused:

I don't think you should eat anything raw that is growing water that you wouldn't drink. Reedmace has two parts bits you can eat, and bits you can weave. this time of year it is mostly bits you can eat, and by august it is mostly bits you weave. It takes more than fifteen minutes to learn anything about bushtucker.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE