swiss volcano stove

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
so i picked one of these up to add to my 7 other stoves (i cant resist stoves) i was messing about with it in the garden... first brew i used a trangia burner problem 1 was dropping it in full of meths as the hole isnt big enough. Problem 2 was lighting it used a steel in the end from the top (yes a spark did fly all the way down and light it!) which although both where overcome dropping a full burner into the top splashes and isnt the best idea. So moving away from the meths burner which is a shame as the boil time was around 3mins or so very very quick, i moved onto a wee fire...

chopped a load of bone dry fire kindling up small enough to get in the hole a got a blaze going still got alot of smoke and soot and a slower burn time, made a brew and well to be honest it tasted bad kind of like smoked water taste to it...

so whats the secret it appears to be the ultimate single serving brew maker but the reality is its not geared up for a burner and using a wood fire ruins the brew apart from hexamine or cutting the hole bigger im open to suggestions to improve the flaws...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If I'm just boiling water I boil up in the bottle. I also spoke nicely to Warthog1981 and he made me a lid for the cup :D
Spikeydapikey did a post about boiling water in one of these little stoves using three meths soaked cottonwool balls in one of those sprung handled teaballs. Brilliantly effective :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Me too i boil water in the bottle with cork loosely in place using a tatonka burner,which i just about manage to get in,then use a cooks match/or paper taper to light it.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
cottonballs in teaball sounds like a winner i was thinking of a syringe to fill a burner or metal cap as i thought the boil time with meths was way faster than my trangias must be the narrow shape of the unit and good heat transfer

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
Me too i boil water in the bottle with cork loosely in place using a tatonka burner,which i just about manage to get in,then use a cooks match/or paper taper to light it.

i take it you drop the burner in from the top? or does it fit the hatch? cause dropping from the top caused a bit of dangerous splash back for me

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Barnsley (in Gods Own County)
Last time out I used gel fuel and cut two of the four sides of the sachet open and just laid the sachet in the bottom of the burner. It contained the flames a bit better than just squeezing the gel directly into the bottom and I got a much better boil. Probably took nearly 10 mins though. However, buring the gel this way also made the gel last a lot longer (20 mins instead of my usual 7).

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I put two fingers in the side hole and lower the full burner(unlit of course) down carefully holding round the top with other hand,until base touches two fingers and slowly lower whole thing down if that makes sense, i do have quite long fingers.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Ravenscar108.jpg

fueltin.jpg

from this thread in out and about
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54002
works in the Crusader cooker set up as well
cheers Danny

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Certainly the brass Army Trangia is too large to fit down but the Highlander brass clone and the Tatonka stainless fit and they both have a couple of small cutouts right at the bottom of the inner well (to let the meths into the wick)
which can be hooked with some stiff wire with a 1/4" right angle bend at one end. When down I give a small squirt of meths to act as a heat primer and this can easily be lit with spark - match - or lighter through the square opening. I use the copper earth wire from the flat gray plastic covered mains cable. I also use the telescopic magnet pen to put a Tuna tin down to use as a snuffer. Picture - 1,000 words :D
Volcanostove.jpg

cheers all Danny

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Danny i use a similar thing in my crusader cup set, a old .177 eley wasp pellet tin with broken up hexi in it, fit's perfect in bottom of crusader burner unit and keeps everything clean for packing up.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Danny i use a similar thing in my crusader cup set, a old .177 eley wasp pellet tin with broken up hexi in it, fit's perfect in bottom of crusader burner unit and keeps everything clean for packing up.

and also has the added bonus of putting the lid on to snuff out and use again next brew. Have you tried "sterno" most of the garden centres round here sell alcohol gell all in the same tin but just a different lable and Price !
cheers Danny

Erik1

Dec 13, 2009
Norway
Interesting thread.

Combining the Swiss cooker with a Trangia or Tatonka looks like a good idea.
Are there any suitable pouches available for the Swiss kit, preferably with a SIGG bottle inside?

BTW, I think the Notkocher 71 is designed for fitting inside the cooker. (Less efficient, though.)

E

Last edited:

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Danny ive used sterno gel,but my main two user's are Meth's burners(got various types) and hexi blocks for a quick brew when just out on a walk,
Erik1 i just put my volcano cooker in a tall nylon draw string bag once ive finished using it and stick that in my rucksack side pocket.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Would you believe Ive never used mine?

Everyone I have showed it too are either cynical or all agog over its clever design

MickG

Forager
Feb 2, 2009
Blackwood South Wales
Hi
I use a "coke" can burner in mine
The sides of the hole can be enlarged to make room to slide the burner in
Still strong enough to take the weight of the water in the cup or bottle
Mick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE