Swiss Army Aluminium Volcano Stove

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
generally they get a thumbs down. I tried one for a while but found it hard work compared to just using a metal mug and some tent pegs. The Volcano stove doesn't draw very well so lots of huffing and puffing needed, also because of it's shape (tall and thin) it's a bit unstable.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
What kind of fuel did you use? It's designed for hexi blocks, but if as you say, it dose'nt "draw" very well it would hardly take other fuel like twigs the same way a Kelly Kettle does.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
didn't see any mention of hexy blocks when I bought mine, I'm sure it was pictured with twigs being used. The burning area is quite large so the hexy thing surprised me. Didn't work well with twigs though and that's what I wanted it for... plenty of wood round here and I'm not mad on hexy so mine was retired.

you pays your money....

O

oilyrag

Swiss Army stoves are designed to be used with the Notkocher 71 cooker. You can get them off fleabay for 1euro each. They are supplied in swiss ration packs.
notkocher.jpg

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
generally they get a thumbs down. I tried one for a while but found it hard work compared to just using a metal mug and some tent pegs. The Volcano stove doesn't draw very well so lots of huffing and puffing needed, also because of it's shape (tall and thin) it's a bit unstable.

I agree with the unstable, though since I realised that it can stabalise it by hooking tent peg ends into the bottom air holes I'm actually begining to be quite fond of it again.

I've not tried it with wood, being aluminium I've been a bit loathe to, but find it works reasonably well with a meths minipopcan stove or a plain tealight case, either of which I use a syringe to fill as it's a bit awkward getting it into position if you fill it first without inviting spilt meths and the real possibility of BBQing your own hand.

O

oilyrag

i stabilize it by placing the bottle in the cage as in this piccy
swiss_volcano_stove.jpg

when boiling the bottle the cage arm rests on the cup for support, hope this helps.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
i stabilize it by placing the bottle in the cage as in this piccy

when boiling the bottle the cage arm rests on the cup for support, hope this helps.

Tried the bottle in the cage, works best when the bottle is full, the second tip is something I'd not picked up on, thanks I will try it sometime.

The thing that used to irritate me with them was that it rattled a lot when packed but I found by pushing the top retaining wire all the way over the top it's a lot better.

I recently also found that the vent holes top and bottom line up almost exactly with the underside loops of a Snugpak response pak, which, with the addition of a couple of mini carabinas, make it into a handy little outing bag including brew kit.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I use mine with a pepsi can burner which was is about right

It was the only cooker I used on some overnighters, but I still took another cup so that I could have a cup of coffee while my baked beans and sausges warmed up :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like mine, and I usually just use twigs and bark in it, the cup's in a bit of a mess with birch tar from the last time out though, no ash handy. :rolleyes:

I didn't know it was supposed to be used with a stove, hmmm, anyone know of a UK supplier for them?

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. the stove cost me a fiver from Surplus & Adventure
http://www.surplusandadventure.com/

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I use mine quite a lot - generally use hexy blocks as fuel but on the odd occasion I use a pepsi can stove. I admit that when I do use it it is generally for novelty value teaching pupils or Scouts about different types of stove - But it does boil water damn fast!

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
All this talk made me go an get mine to try it again, but I dropped it and now the bottom isn't flat so it won't stand up. I have tried straigthening it but the fold is along one of the corrugations and I just can't get it right :(

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The bottle looks like it could be used in a home made bean can hobo stove. If you've knacked the original piece, why not give it a try? Wear some good leather gloves when you cut the bean tin though, you could catch yourself and end up with a nasty cut.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
The bottle looks like it could be used in a home made bean can hobo stove. If you've knacked the original piece, why not give it a try? Wear some good leather gloves when you cut the bean tin though, you could catch yourself and end up with a nasty cut.

Nice idea, I must ask 'er indoors to keep the next tin :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Meant for use with little stoves but work well with hexy, greenheat gel and if needed sticks and bark. I use dit with charcoal and it was excellent.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE