Sweet little French billy - identify it, please?

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
My mother found this in a briquante years ago:

89d56904.jpg

It's got a lid and a little pot that sits in the top:

0f54b9c4.jpg

Stamp on the bottom says "Unis France" - there is a word above it but I can't make it out as it's badly stamped (possibly "Gournos"). Anyone seen anything like it before?

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Gave one away just like it in the Gift-it-on thread recently. No idea of the history of it, but it's pretty sweet little thing ain't it? I have another just like for eventual give away and another I keep for myself. I bought all three when I saw them for sale a couple of years ago.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Thanks, Phil & Biker. Not the most practical of cooking implements as they're a bit tall (and not sure what the extra pan would be used for) but I'll keep hold of it for sentimental reasons

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Thanks, Phil & Biker. Not the most practical of cooking implements as they're a bit tall ...

On the contrary, it's very practical when you're heating it in the right pot stand. If you look at the military Trangia it's a very similar shape. When cooking, the sides of the pot stand form a kind of annular chimney around the pot, keeping the flames and hot gas in contact with the sides of the pot instead of allowing them to blow away in the breeze. Similar to the Volcano and Kelly kettle ideas. It makes more efficient use of the heat from the fuel.

Last night I used my military Trangia to heat a meal of corned beef, carrots, broad beans and cous-cous. It used less than 25 grammes of meths.

As Phil (Decorum) says you can use the 'bain marie' arrangement, I often put a bit of water in the lid of my Trangia and sit the pot in it. The water simmers gently and you get a very even heat for the food. I think it's slightly less efficient used that way as more of the pot is above the pot stand, but if the food would otherwise burn that's a small price to pay.

Last edited:

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Very tempted to get an army Trangia now I've seen one, to keep in the car as an emergency kit should I break down (if it snows again this winter). Will probably go for a stainless one

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Search the forum archives, there was a guy talking about how he'd found a crate of them for sale at some show, something like 1.50 each. I'm not sure they were complete with burner, but a lot of people seem to replace the military burner with a civvy one. The civvy ones bloom quicker and usually have a flame adjuster, which the military one lacks because they're really intended just for boiing rat packs and brews. I made one for mine from the lid of a baked bean can. :)

With you on the stainless, if you aren't carrying it around the weight's no bother. I keep a stainless scouring pad in mine and since it's stainless in stainless there are no galvanic corrosion problems that way. I don't have any problem with burning food in mine although the heat does tend to get a bit fierce in the middle. You need to cook something that you can stir, and then stir it. I like anything with rice, cous-cous, dried powdered potato, cans of small or chopped vegetables, corned beef and some spicy seasoning which can all sit in a crate with the cooker and a couple of two-litre bottles of water. Zero maintenance for literally years. The 'use by' dates on corned beef are typically four or five years from purchase, vegetables often a bit less but I don't mind eating them two or three years past their dates. Give 'em a sniff first.

Most of the military surplus places have them for about a tenner. There are several other different varieties along the same lines from different forces, any of them will do the job. Some of them come with a little bottle for meths, some even come with a little cup. I haven't got one of the cups but they look on the small side for me. :)

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Thanks, Phil & Biker. Not the most practical of cooking implements as they're a bit tall (and not sure what the extra pan would be used for) but I'll keep hold of it for sentimental reasons

The original versions of these type of pots or 'Dixies' were designed for bulk cooking where the pans were stacked side by side and running the length of a long fire, hence the shape. I've got a couple of diagrams somewhere I'll post.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE