sweet chestnuts

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
As said above. In my area they are not quite ready yet, so not sure about your part of the country. Look up images of the tree in a reference book or online and try your look at picking. Failing that supermarkets and markets sell them by the bag load.

iamasmith

Forager
Aug 12, 2009
London
I think any that you find will but just ready. I found the ones in the local park the other day were perfect for picking. The pods were just opening and you could just reach in and grab them by the points and pull them out. They were lovely :)

EdS

Shewies -- they generally are. They "native" trees tend to bear small nuts. Those with larger - eaeting size- chestnuts come from contiental (often Italian) stock. A lot where planted in the 1700 as food, there decendants have gone wild.

There are some trees over at Delamere.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Shewies -- they generally are. They "native" trees tend to bear small nuts. Those with larger - eaeting size- chestnuts come from contiental (often Italian) stock. A lot where planted in the 1700 as food, there decendants have gone wild.

There are some trees over at Delamere.

There's a nice patch of well established sweet chestnuts up near Denholme where I sometimes end up for a bimble, I need to check them out again this year but like you said they're not too cracking normally.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Hello Handy Andy - do I know you? (knowing of at least one Andy I pointed this way who lives in Southend...)

Plinko

Oct 21, 2010
USA
Eds,

Do you still have the green Spyderco Jester that you purchased from rapidboy a few years back?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE