sweet chestnuts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 2, 2008
North London
Not sure on making flour. Im guessing they need to be roasted and then ground,like acorns etc. I have heard that chestnut flour is best when mixed with other types of flour. Personally i think they are best roasted and eaten as a snack, or mixed with sausage meat and herbs to make stuffing. Ben law has a recipie in his book the woodland year for chestnut soup which is really good!

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
What have the Hazel nut crops been like for you?

I went to a place that was heaving with Hazel nuts last year but this year - nowt!

There are hardly any squirrels there either so Im just putting it down to a bad year.

BB

robwolf

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2008
thetford norfolk
hi my recipie is wait till they are hard and scrape the shell and the white pith off ,roughly chop or bash and then put in food processer and blend into flour on thier own it doesnt rise much but they do make very good biscuits. Or you could try doing them the roman way, boil in shells for 20 mins when soft peel the pith comes off as well then mash add pepper salt other nuts,seeds or fruit and a bit of milk and mix into a gruel my favorite!! regards rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE