Swedish Leather over mittens Mod.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
HERE are the Swedish Army Surplus Leather Over Mittens. Great Mittens but a little short in the cuff.

Leather_Over_Mittens.jpg

So, modded them to add a canvas gauntlet. Dachstein Inners.

Vast improvement.

attachment.php

[Had my dressmaker do it. She's great]

Attachments

• P1000736.jpg
    P1000736.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
I have these over mitts and love them over wool.
However, in deep cold, and while we are talking gauntlets I love USAF N3b mitts.
Fantastic job Dave! Your smock arrived yet? Looking forward to a peek!

Best.

Chris.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Please don't post pictures of yourself in a dress.

I walked right int that one!

Nice, its harder than it should be to find mitts with nice big gauntlet cuffs

Cheers Mate.

I have these over mitts and love them over wool.
However, in deep cold, and while we are talking gauntlets I love USAF N3b mitts.
Fantastic job Dave! Your smock arrived yet? Looking forward to a peek!

Best.

Chris.

Hier Chris. Thanks. Yes, the smock arrived. I'll take a couple of photos for you and stick them under the thread. Its really good. Ive tried it on, with a 200g baselayer, and slipped a zipped 400g baselayer in through the sleeve or down the open neck, or bottom, and you can take it on and off, whilst leaving the smock on. inside pockets exactly same as outside, so you can leave your glove inners in in the inside one.Its pretty good. Although I woudnt want to wear it with my leather belt kit, as it might stain it and Im sure Id end up with a big brown circle round my waist.

Last edited:

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Mate. as you know! Its going to get mighty dirty anyway!!
A few stains add to the character, and tell their own stories, and that material should wash up pretty well on a hot wash!!
Never trust a winter back woods man with a pristine snow smock!! Lol!!.

Best.

Chris.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Mate. as you know! Its going to get mighty dirty anyway!!
A few stains add to the character, and tell their own stories, and that material should wash up pretty well on a hot wash!!
Never trust a winter back woods man with a pristine snow smock!! Lol!!.

Best.

Chris.

Yeh, I suppose so. I also got the alpaca woollen sash which is about 12foot long! :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nicely done Dave :D much more practical I think at that length.

While I'm commenting though, can I ask how one would clean the leather and cotton cuffs on a vintage pair of those arctic mitts?
I was cleaning out the cupboard where I keep camping stuff and there's a totally sound, but incredibly grubby pair (complete with twill cotton tape holding the two together so they can't be lost) that's been kicking about in HWMBLT's kit for near fifty years.
The leather is flexible, soft and has absolutely no damage, so has the cotton, just that they're both stained looking.
I can't ever see us using them now, but still, I'd rather they were cleaned up.
Incidentally, the cuffs on these old ones are elasticated (and that's still sound too) and they come up almost to the elbows.

M

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Cheers Toddy. I just used saddle soap on the gloves, dried them and then painted melted beeswax on them, put them in a canvas bag and dropped them in the drier for twenty minutes. So the beswax covered the canvas gauntlets as well. [That wasnt really supposed to happen.] But people use a product called sno-seal on them in the States.
If there is a correct way of doing it, I dont know it. depends how 'vintage' they are I suppose. Handwash them? As Chris said about my anorak, in the end you might have to just accept them as 'character marks'. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cheers for that Dave :)
Himself says he bought them when he was in the Scouts (as a v. young leader) and it's definitely 50 years ago.
I suspect they're wartime vintage, but the quality is superb.

Character ? aye, well, maybe :)

M

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Very uesful mod. Really cold snow on my wrists is nearly painful.

In a Trade Show, McBride was voted as the #1 snowmobile destination in North America.
The riders generally wear sport-designed gloves with substantial gauntlets, goggle wiper blade and amazing manual dexterity
despite the thickness. I have a pair just for general outdoor winter stuff like shovelling snow drifts, etc.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Very uesful mod. Really cold snow on my wrists is nearly painful.

aye...keep your wrists warm to keep your hands warm too. I have mild raynauds on my left hand and insulating the wrist/forearm does more than any amount of extra gloves

In a Trade Show, McBride was voted as the #1 snowmobile destination in North America.
The riders generally wear sport-designed gloves with substantial gauntlets, goggle wiper blade and amazing manual dexterity
despite the thickness. I have a pair just for general outdoor winter stuff like shovelling snow drifts, etc.

as a year round biker (with raynauds) those gloves sound interesting. any paricular ones you'd reccomend having a gander at?

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
OH. A serious caution that I have to explain:

Sled-head gloves all come with a goggle/visor squeegee strip, usually on the side of the left index finger of the gloves.
When you're out in the winter, it's cold, -10C - -20C, maybe your nose gets a little runny,
do NOT attempt to wipe your nose with that thing. Cold, stiff and cuts like a knife.
Do it once, then cut the stitching and take it off.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Any suggestions on what material to use for that? I might add a patch.

have a couple of bits of coyote fur.... but Im not sure they would be effective.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE