Swedish lake fishing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
Could anyone give advice on methods and bait etc for catching salmon and trout in the lakes of Sweden as I was rather useless last year and hope to do better . Riven.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Depends on how serious you want to be. I've never fished for trout or salmon in a lake, just flyfishing in rivers and streams, but the normal lures used is wobblers.

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Works well with eels.Need large hooks though in Sweden , big heads and bigger mouths.Also good to throw in a few wobblers. FIL

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Riven said:
Could anyone give advice on methods and bait etc for catching salmon and trout in the lakes of Sweden as I was rather useless last year and hope to do better . Riven.

For trout you don't need anything more elaborate than bread squeezed onto the hook (size 10 will suffice). Small worms, especially the blood red wriggly ones will also work. Don't hook them through the head and they'll stay alive and wriggling longer which will help attract the trout. Hook just below the head and thread the worm up the hook a little bringing the point out again or just hook once through the body just below the head. I'm not a fly fishing person but I've caught trout on worms and bread with ease. You don't even need a weight. :) If you're fishing from a canoe just throw some line out and let it drift, paying more line out as you go and the trout will grab the bait from the surface or as it gently sinks. Can't help with salmon as I've never fished for them, but I'm sure someone on here will have. If not there'll definately be some info on the internet. try this one - http://eis.bris.ac.uk/~cckhrb/fish_tech.html ............. tight lines :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE