Swedish Fast Knife

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
After watching Fredde's cool video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eWjqhp_X6c a couple of years ago, I finally got round to getting one made.

Most of it was done in the woods, but I wanted to peen over the tang end so it went though all the handle, so I used the Hammer at home. I also needed more bark as the only stuff I could get in this wood was old and semi decayed, so used some that I had previously gathered from a different woodland after some thinning work.

000_0880.jpg

000_0885.jpg

Mines a bit rustic but I like that. It seems very strong and I love bark sheaths more every time I make one. This sheath was harder than the Elm one I made as its difficult to get long pieces of birch bark with out holes in them or splitting badly. So this one was several pieces with the linen thread to help secure and make the perfect fit around the handle. It was the sheath I probably put more thought into, but once I started it only took about 20 minutes after making the wooden liner.

More pictures including the making in my blog if you fancy a look.

http://woodsmancrafts.blogspot.com/2011/03/after-watching-freddes-cool-video.html

Cheers,

Addo :)

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Addo
Thats a great job and the most inspring knife I have seen in a while and something I need to try.

The bit where Fredde uses the knife before its glued and just held together with string blows away the argument that stick tangs are weak.
What glue did he use on the video.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Addo
Thats a great job and the most inspring knife I have seen in a while and something I need to try.

The bit where Fredde uses the knife before its glued and just held together with string blows away the argument that stick tangs are weak.
What glue did he use on the video.

I asked him about this and he said "Fish swim bladders". I looked into it and I think they are a granular product made for the bow making business. A very strong natural glue made from Sturgeon fish I think. I would like to try the glue, but just used what I already had this time.

Thanks for the comments There good fun to do. Check out the other videos on Fredde's channel theres some good skills there.

k975

Jan 19, 2010
Sweden
If you want to make a really fast knife outdoors just take a blade with a sticktang, a piece of freshly cut birch and then hammer the tang into the middle of the birch piece (no need for a full length tang so snapped in half will be enough). If you like, whittle down the birch to suit you and there you are... The wood will dry around the tang and even if the handle develops a few small cracks it will be there for a looong time. I made a few like this in my early teens and they have survived till now residing in my fathers tool box and he hasn't really been using them as knives (more like small prybars...).

//K9_75

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Sounds pretty cool, I'll give it a go, Cheers.

I was going to try burning the tang into a piece of birch wood next, but I guess you still need glue to keep it in there?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE