Swedish Army Trangia

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
I've just got myself a Swedish Army Trangia and have just tried it out.

Nothing special really - an alcohol burner with stand and oval cooking pots.

The only problem I had with it was putting it out - the simmer cap from my other civvy trangia didn't work so I ended up smothering it with a cloth.

I expected to see some neat features, but didn't find any really - except for the fold up stand. The burner and the bottle didn't fit neatly into the large pot - they really don't look as if they were designed for each other.

Also, there's a hole in the bottom of the stand. I can understand that would be good for placing the stand over the burner once it's lit instead of placing the burner in the stand - but that's all. The stand doesn't have any handle so you can't pick it up to get at the burner when you're done in order to put out the stove. And it's hot!

Nevertheless I am hoping it has potential. My first thought is whether I can use it as hobo stove as well.

I am just thinking out loud and was wondering whether anybody has done any customisation of the stove - such as using it as a hobo stove or finding pieces of kit that pack neatly into the pot.

I'm just fishing for ideas really.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
I don't keep the burner or bottle inside mine; call me picky but I don't like poison swilling about inside a cooking pot.

The hole in the stand is useful so you can lift the stand off (with multitool, cloth etc.) for easily putting it out.

wizzzard

Sep 15, 2008
Stalybridge
I really like mine.
If you remove the O ring from the burner lid you can just drop the lid on the burner to extinguish the flames.
The fact that the burner and fuel bottle doesn't take up all the space in the pot is a bonus, is it not? Scouring pad, towel, lighter, spork, brew kit etc. all fit in and stop any rattles.
Yes you can use it as a Hobo, I don't know if the metal in the windscreen will cope long term though. I've made countless brews this way with no ill effects on the integrety of the windscreen so far.
The windscreen does get hot true, but it doesnt take much ingenuity to safely handle it with a piece of towel, gloves etc.

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
Yes, if I put some aluminium foil in the bottom when using it as a hobo, it wouldn't scorch the earth.

The only danger to the stand would be melting but since you've already used it as a hobo it seems to be safe. And the weight of the pot isn't all on the screen, but the fold up stand elements inside.

Things are looking good:)

Improviser

Tenderfoot
I've got the alloy version of the SAT & find it pretty good although i have replaced the burner with a highlander trangia copy -primes better in cold temps, supplied one is fine when its milder.
Store all sundries in it inc.brew kit,tibetan spork,cut down pot holder.

This has got me tuned in to make a stainless plate that will cover hole in base & try it as a hobo stove i'll give it a few goes hopefully it wont melt :eek: but at the end of the day it was only a fiver!

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
The burner and bottle are designed to fit inside along with the plastic Swedish army Kuksa. With this they fit perfectly, do not rattle, and still leave room for a spork lighter and small brew kit. It makes a complete self contained package that is compact though not exactly light.

The fuel bottle is intentionally shaped so you can keep it warm in an inside pocket to aid lighting in cold weather.

And the best thing is the pans are designed for use with an open fire.

i like mine a lot, but for mountain trips I take something lighter.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Insulate the burner from the ground in cold temperatures or this slow burner will get even slower. As you said they are nothing special but work ok if you in no great rush. You can modify some gas burners to fit.

nige7whit

Forager
Feb 10, 2009
Brize Norton / Midlands (rest)
In my Swedish Army Trangia large pot I pack the following items;

-Fuel bottle as supplied with the stove
-Burner (currently the issue one, but waiting for a stainless Tatonka version with simmer ring, as it is smaller diameter than the army one.
-Trangia pot gripper (for handling the windshield when hot)
-Swedish army firesteel
-Small piece of non-metallic scourer
-small bottle of washing up detergent
-small bottle of olive oil
-LMF spork

I'm toying with the idea of carrying an extra piece of flat metal, the same size as the base of the pot, to act as a heat spreader, as I find that the stainless army Trangia does not disperse the heat as well as the aluminium version (I have both), leading to a hotspot above the burner, which tends to burn stews, if a high heat setting is used.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
In my Swedish Army Trangia large pot I pack the following items;

-Fuel bottle as supplied with the stove
-Burner (currently the issue one, but waiting for a stainless Tatonka version with simmer ring, as it is smaller diameter than the army one.
-Trangia pot gripper (for handling the windshield when hot)
-Swedish army firesteel
-Small piece of non-metallic scourer
-small bottle of washing up detergent
-small bottle of olive oil
-LMF spork

I'm toying with the idea of carrying an extra piece of flat metal, the same size as the base of the pot, to act as a heat spreader, as I find that the stainless army Trangia does not disperse the heat as well as the aluminium version (I have both), leading to a hotspot above the burner, which tends to burn stews, if a high heat setting is used.

Stainless steel is not a great metal for cooking with, Titanium is even worse, Aluminium is the best of the three. Pick up a splatter guard, type you put on a frying pan to stop fat spits, its very fine mesh and you can cut it to size. This will spread the heat better and is lighter than a sheet of metal.

This sort of thing eBay 190296445949 you may need to double it up, just experiment a bit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE