Swedish Army trangia stove

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Are they really so much heavier than, say, a stove, gas bottle and two pans?

Very much so, especially when you consider the weight of carried meths on top of the already heavy stove. I think the real weight gain comes from the windshield; it's a very big bit of metal for what can be achieved with a bit of tin foil.

But that's not the point of the SAT I guess, its completely bomb proof and above all as cheap as chips. However if your looking to do any serious hiking I'd look at another option, and I speak from experience on that one :rolleyes:.

All agreed. When my take on this particular kit is all ready to go it's not far short of 2kg including a mug, meths in the flat bottle, some tea, vitamin C, plus Oxo cubes and Tabasco sauce. :)

Are they really so much heavier than, say, a stove, gas bottle and two pans?

Yep!

I really wouldn't plan on hiking with one - the weight is going to be an issue.

Mine sat in a cupboard for years until I resurrected it for motorbike camping - where weight wasn't an issue, but space was, and for this it's ideal. It'll easily cook for two (unless you invite Ged along!:)), is nicely compact and it's shape means there is very little wasted space when packing motorcycle panniers - as there can be with round pots.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
Yep!

I really wouldn't plan on hiking with one - the weight is going to be an issue.

Mine sat in a cupboard for years until I resurrected it for motorbike camping - where weight wasn't an issue, but space was, and for this it's ideal. It'll easily cook for two (unless you invite Ged along!:)), is nicely compact and it's shape means there is very little wasted space when packing motorcycle panniers - as there can be with round pots.

But if you invite Ged he'll bring his own cookset -- and his own bike. :)

http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/dscf3657b.jpg

ged

Jul 16, 2009
... I just hadn't realised, until this thread, what a...an epicurean you were!!! ...

You know, it's funny you should say that.

When I lived in Oxfordshire, my next door neighbours had a daughter. I lived there about ten years and knew the girl from when she was born.

We used to chat now and then, I was building a house and she would stand and watch. At seven she would seem older than her years by quite a bit. Our conversations were not what I'd have expected conversations with a seven-year-old to be.

One day her parents bought her a kitten. Jet black, fluffy, very friendly. They said she could name it.

They thought she'd call it "Sooty" or something like that.

Imagine their surprise when she came up with "Philodemus".

They were even more surprised when I wasn't. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE