Swedish Army trangia stove

Tagaeri

Jan 20, 2014
West Cornwall
Hi folks,
I've been looking at the Swedish army trangia stove (stainless steel). Can anyone tell me the volume of the larger pot and the smaller lid/pan please? Also, any ideas for removing the paint from the outside of the pots?
Thanks!

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I've got the Aly one it's lighter I believe and cheaper. I'm not sure on volumes as it's not to hand but the cup/top is around 3 mugs worth to the brim. Approx estimate. They are great though I got mine from Endicotts and was asked if I wanted painted or not?? If that helps..?

Sent from somewhere?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
There are various types about. My example is shown here for ID:

http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/military_stove_and_pouch.jpg

It's stainless.

The small pan weighs 341g. It has a ridge at somewhat less than half capacity. Filled to the ridge 280ml water. Brimming full 740ml water.
The large pan weighs 552g. It has a ridge at near its full capacity. Filled to the ridge 1340g water. brimming full 1590g water.
The weights include bails/hook.

Obviously you can't boil/cook with the things brimming full, and if I'm hungry (as I tend to be when I'm out and about) I find that cooking my famous corned beef hash with the large pan as full as is safe makes just about enough for a meal for me.

I don't know why you'd want to take the paint off but paint stripper might do it. The stainless pan is in no danger of damage from paint stripper, but I wouldn't suggest you try a blowlamp unless you're going to be very careful not to get the pans glowing. :yikes:

Last edited:

It's stainless.

The small pan weighs 341g. It has a ridge at somewhat less than half capacity. Filled to the ridge 280ml water. Brimming full 740ml water.
The large pan weighs 552g. It has a ridge at near its full capacity. Filled to the ridge 1340g water. brimming full 1590g water.

Obviously you can't boil/cook with the things brimming full, and if I'm hungry (as I tend to be when I'm out and about) I find that cooking my famous corned beef hash with the large pan as full as is safe makes just about enough for a meal for me.

I don't know why you'd want to take the paint off but paint stripper might do it. The pan is in no danger of damage from paint stripper, but I wouldn't suggest you try a blowlamp unless you're going to be very careful not to get the pans glowing. :yikes:

Jeez Ged! That is hungry!

Actually I've found that the paint comes off (over time) with a normal green Scotchbrite scourer. I just took a little off at a time, when I scrubbed it clean at home after use, and now it's almost totally stripped.

It leaves a nice polished patina as well - almost like pewter - in contrast to the gleaming stainless steel interior.

Tagaeri

Jan 20, 2014
West Cornwall

It's stainless.

The weights include bails/hook.

I don't know why you'd want to take the paint off but paint stripper might do it. The stainless pan is in no danger of damage from paint stripper, but I wouldn't suggest you try a blowlamp unless you're going to be very careful not to get the pans glowing. :yikes:

That's really helpful, thank you!

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Yeah, just don't trust aluminium not to break or poison me!

Don't worry about the ally one. I have one of those too its been used on campfires and gas stoves with no issues, think the whole alzheimers thing was disproved too.

Jun 15, 2014
Leicester
The alluminium set's bomb proof and very easy to keep clean.

I agree, i have one of these from an army surplus shop and i use it a lot in the garden for brewing up. I never carry it up hills but often take it if im low down in the trees and close to the motor. I like cooking rat packs in it because it has high sides

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Are they really so much heavier than, say, a stove, gas bottle and two pans?

Very much so, especially when you consider the weight of carried meths on top of the already heavy stove. I think the real weight gain comes from the windshield; it's a very big bit of metal for what can be achieved with a bit of tin foil.

But that's not the point of the SAT I guess, its completely bomb proof and above all as cheap as chips. However if your looking to do any serious hiking I'd look at another option, and I speak from experience on that one :rolleyes:.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE